What's a good substitute for laundry detergent

@venshida (4838)
I forget to buy laundry detergent the last time I shop. I have a couple items I would really like to wash tonight, and I don't want to drive to the store so late, I was wondering what is a good substitute I can use at home.
@elisa812 (3033)
I actually remember reading somewhere that you can use dishwashing soap in the laundry machine. I found it somewhere with a list of ideas for saving money. It said that you only have to use (I think) about a dime size or quarter size amount to wash a full load of clothes, since it bubbles up so much. I have never tried it myself, but I have heard that it works. I am planning to try it out sometimes too if it really will work and save money. It's worth a shot anyway!
@venshida (4838)
I would think dishwashing liquid would work. I am definately going to give that a try.
@jerzgirl (7933)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
You might be able to try shampoo, but only on the gentle cycle so it's not too bubbly. If you only need clothes for tomorrow, then that's what I'd wash - just those and a couple days of underwear, socks, etc. I've used shampoo for handwashing, so you should be able to on the gentle cycle in the washer like you would Woolite. Just not as much as you would liquid detergent. You can probably guess at how much more you'd need compared to when you wash your hair.
@venshida (4838)
I fell asleep after I post this thread. I do have some shampoo so I am going to use it right now. Thanks for the suggestion.
@compumom (738)
If ever you get sick and tired of spending money for laundry detergent, you can make your own. Here's a review after one year of using homemade laundry detergent: http://www.blulow.com/2008/07/21/homemade-laundry-detergent-experiment/
@vanities (11343)
• Davao, Philippines
i dont think there is a substitute on laundry detergent, unless you want your clothes wash without using one