I Realize This Probably Makes Me Either A Geek Or A Dork...

By JJ
@myklj999 (26345)
Olney, Illinois
but I really like Star Trek. A lot. I'm talking the real one; yeah, "The Next Generation" was cool and all that, but it's still Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty...just can't get enough of it. Yeah, it's pretty corny, the effects are definitely cheesy, but I can't help it. I liked it as a 7 year old kid, and I still like it today. I'm in the middle of a Star Trek trekathon- all 79 original episodes from all 3 seasons are available to watch at CBS.com (I'm currently on episode 20 from season 2-"Return to Tomorrow".) So now that you know my deep dark secret, I hope you don't think any less of me. Any other Trekkies out there?
I am so with you there Myklj, I adore the old star treks, The next generation was pretty good, but I do not go much past those. The movies were great also. I simply love The wrath of Khan! Ricardo Montibon was so friggin sexy as Khan in that movie, I still watch it to see him dying and with his last breath spitith at thee!
Serious Trekkie here. I've loved all the various incarnations of the show for different reasons, but I have a special place in my heart for James Tiberius Kirk spreading his cowboy diplomacy over the galaxy, not to mention hooking up with every babe in space. I love Battlestar Galactica too
Probably close to 79 times. lol. Count them and also beam me up. Do you know Kirk actually never said "beam me up, Scotty" those words in that order . Makes ya think huh. Thanks for the cbs.com heads up, Mike.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
You can always tell who in the landing party is going to die. It's always 3-4 of the regular cast and then 1-2 people you've never heard of-the "sacrificial lambs" so to speak.
@II2aTee (2559)
Your such a looser. Everyone knows Picard is a WAY better captain than Kirk. Engage.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
I know, I know. Picard is a much classier "officer and a gentleman" type, and I do like watching TNG, but I am old enough to have seen the original Star Trek when it was aired back in the 60's, and that was what really spiked my interests in science and science fiction, so it has a special meaning for me. Care to sit and have a cup of Earl Grey while we discuss this?
@II2aTee (2559)
HAHA! Extra points for mentioning Earl Grey. Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. Man I wish I lived on that star ship. I happen to love Earl Grey, and I wouldnt doubt if its because I grew up watching Picard drink it heh. The original Stay Trek was pretty amazing though. My brother and sister and I used to watch it every night at dinner. They dont make TV like that anymore. Sigh.
@theprogamer (10539)
Pfft! Sisko owned all of them. =P
Trekkies are now called Trekkers. I love classic too. Got them all on DVD, you should get them on DVD too. I have seen the refurbished ones and they looked horrible. Get the remastered classic and stay from the refurbished ones.
I am a girl and I love Star Trek. I like all of them (but TOS is the best) and like anything to do with the Star Trek universe. There is nothing wrong with being a trekker or trekkie.
@zhuuraan (967)
I'm a bit of a trekkie too, but the only two I have seen all the way through are Voyager and Deep Space Nine. I want to see all the others though. I'll have to check out CBS.com to watch those TOS eps. Thx!
You aren't the only one. I'm a trekkie too! I guess I'm not a true trekkie though, I don't like the first or the last series. Kirk just got on my nerves messing with every female species he ran into. I would have loved to look into Bones' files to see all the diseases he contracted. I cut my teeth on Picard, and graduated to Sisko and Janeway. The last series, Enterprise, really got on my nerves. They went far outside Gene Roddenberry's original storyline, so it really didn't hold true for me.
That's cool. I'm not personally into Star Trek, but if you like it then it's cool. I'm more of a Star Wars buff. I'm am so into the originals it's not even funny. I used to be able to quote most of the scenes from the movies by heart, lol. Empire is my favorite. But I really like those speeder bikes in Jedi.
@theprogamer (10539)
Pfft. I wear the nerd/geek/dork symbol proudly. Society usually makes dumb calls on that anyhow. Anyways, I will completely obliterate yours and all other forms of dork in the discussion... Hmm..obliterate...? or should I say "assimilate"..? *Grabs Borg Tendrils* Come here everyone! Anyways, one could see my Star Trek dorkism even in mylot responses. http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1499898.aspx http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1501001.aspx http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1328002.aspx (check the entries) http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1500834.aspx http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1314169.aspx http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1207699.aspx At least you know about the episodes on CBS.com.... but I really wonder how fullblown your Trekism is? What do you think of "Remastered"? Seen the Animated Series? Read up on the novels or even the comics? Played more than a few of the games? Keeping up on the latest Star Trek XI/Star Trek '08 film? Did you see the stuff they would have done for Enterprise, Season 5? Know about the second animated series in development?
I don't think you are either, but if you are, I don't care either. I hate labels. I like, "this is normal for me". And I grew up on Star Trek, like you say, the original, not the remakes. None are anywhere near the original. The original is the only one worth watching.
I too am geek. Although I prefer the Next Generation, I also grew up watching the original. I lost interest when it became Deep Space Nine. I just never could get into that.
@CanadaGal (4304)
I'm not much of a Trekkie, but I do enjoy watching the feature films. I'm more of a Trekker... BIG fan of TNG and Voyager. I miss watching those shows. A LOT. I even got into DS9 when it was in reruns. But now I'm too cheap to get more tv channels, so I can't watch any of them like I used to. I guess I could find them online, but I'd rather get all of the seasons on dvd. I can't burn any rignt now either... my dvd burner is having issues. Sigh!
@skinnychick (6907)
LMAO...it makes you a geek AND a dork. But no worries we still love you anyway. You always show a pretty cool side , that is until this discussion. LOL
@metschica25 (5407)
starship enterprise from star trek - starship enterprise star trek
Oh,I wouldnt say that makes you a dork, everyone is saying maybe a little one I have never really watched any thing on the subject. My fiance does watch the tv shows and saw all the movies. He also,from time to time will read a book . For xmas I bought him the starship enterprise . He always will turn the music on and it makes me nuts lol .
hi. i do remember this show. i was a tad bit young to remember specific details but i liked the show. what can i say but "beam me up scottie". enjoy the marathon. lol!!!
I didn`t see too too much of the original series, but I totally grew up on Next Gen, and I loved DS9 the most. I didn`t have cable the year Enterprise came out so I missed out on that, but I hear that hard-core trekkies hated it anyways so I`m not sure anyone would admit to liking it while talking to a trekkie. Ahem. OKAY so i saw a few of them and I liked what I saw! But I`m talking like FIVE episodes or something and you can hardly make an informed decision from so few episodes. (Ok, it was 10) Star Trek rocked! More channels outta run re-runs. City used to show Voyager in the AM here until I wrote in to complain about the yucky commercials for Vampire shows during a daytime show when my kids were around. The next week Voyager had been moved to 4am, I kid you not. See....networks DO listen to consumers!
No, not a geek or a dork! I love Star Trek. The original is my favorite, but I watch Voyager and Next Generation, too. I never got into Deep Space Nine, though. I have the movies and love those, too. Thanks for telling us about cbs.com. I didn't know that! You know, some people think that only men and boys like Star Trek and the Three Stooges. It's not true. I love both, and always have.
Are you kidding me? Just what is it with guys and Star Trek? I don't think I ever dated a guy that didn't like Star Trek. Me, sorry, definitely NOT A FAN! Oh, and by the way, my best friend in High School was probably the biggest Geek and I was the Dork and we both ended up just fine! There is hope for Geeks and Dorks but Trekkies are still just Trekkies! teehee!
You don't look like a geek or a dork. I like Star Trek too. all of them. I don't feel there is anything wrong. I think that the geek or dork think attached to ST is a joke anyway. Join a fan club and be done with it.
@twallace (2675)
When i was growing up i was a Star Trek fan too. I have watched the others and they are just as good. I guess they had to continue the story line with modern action and effects to make it more real. I don't watch the other ones that much every now and then I will watch them on Sci-fi channel but not that much. They have gone to another level with Space movies and tv shows to the point sometimes you wonder is it just someone imagination or real. But any way the old is just as good as the new versions.