whoa! it's INDEPENDENCE DAY! today isn't it?

@posham (1237)
Today is the Philippine Independence Day! There should have been festivities all around the corner. People should be marching around the street commemorating the day when we, after centuries of occupancy, finally became free. Yet, ho-humm, it's 4pm here and I just realized that today is Independence Day. Our president doesn't seem to think that today should be honored and our heroes gratified for the "freedom" we have today. Instead, she made June 9, monday, the official holiday leaving people no choice but to go to work today.. i think it was her father, the late former president who declared that june12 be our independence day because this was the time in history that filipinos declared independence while, for the first time, singing the national hymn and raising our nation's colors! but no, she declared june 9 monday as the national holiday to give room for a long weekend.. rubbish!
@kingcrapper (1538)
Wow! Sounds like there is a lot of confusion with your country's independence day! I knew someone who was from there long ago and he tried to discribe it to me! Wow! How beautiful it must be! Sound like there is much history there too! Could you share with me the history of your country? I think I would be great to hear it from a person who actually lives there!
@posham (1237)
well, we were invaded by spain for almost 4 centuries.. and then occupied by the americans and by the japanese then by americans again.. tsk tsk... no wonder we're confused... hahaha...
@swirlz (3138)
Hmmm, maybe I can help you out there. The Spanish invaded and conquered us for 333 years. They brought with them Catholism and converted most of the Filipinos into Catholic. They have also influenced us in many ways. But the Spanish were mean. They oppressed us, and they do as they please, often killing people who doesn't follow their orders. Due to this, there was a revolution, to fight off the oppressors. It looked hopeful, but we can't really call it a success. Then the Americans came. They had this treaty wherein we were sold for *I don't remember how much*. The Americans were better, though we can't really say that there weren't injustice. But they gave us education, and let us have our own government. They also brought with them Protestanism. It didn't last long. Then came the Japanese. It was during the time of World War III. The America was under duress ofcourse. But they promised to come back. And after some years, they did. And freed us from the Japanese. Then... I don't know anymore. Can someone help me out?
@swirlz (3138)
I meant World War II, not III.
I do appreciate President Arroyo's purpose of moving the holiday to make the weekend longer but for me this convenience she wants drains the true spirit of the independence day. Not just this Independence day but all the holiday that she move to another day are ruining the real essence and spirit of that certain occasion. I think giving our time to commemorate a certain occasion on its real date even if its in the way of our work or is inconvenient is what I think best cause it gives us the feeling of the past and give us more the feeling of being more patriotic.
@posham (1237)
hear! hear! we don't celebrate holidays when it's most convenient for us. especially holidays of this magnitude and importance. when we celebrate on another date, it seems empty...
Wow, first time I have heard of any country changing its independence day to suit the holidays! Talk of the independence to do as you feel like! But Philippines is a democracy isn’t it? Is it a multi-party democracy like India? If any Indian leader wanted to change the national holidays, others would have skewered and BBQ-ed him/her right inside the parliament! How can anybody change the Independence Day??? And how did the people and other political parties accept this?
@posham (1237)
our president is rubbish... no one should be allowed to change holidays just like that. our heroes did not fight for independence for centuries just so a century after, someone would take it away as she fancy... one person's decision is not democracy... i wonder why no one's taking notice of this. sigh... maybe people are just tired of it.,..
@ashly1979 (1376)
cool it being the fourth of july there in your country. ours start on July 4th in the United States.
@posham (1237)
@swirlz (3138)
Yeah, it really takes out the essence of the holiday. If she keeps doing this, people wouldn't be able to remember the holiday at all. Or maybe they can't celebrate the holiday because they don't know when to celebrate it. Yesterday I went to town and I saw vehicles with the Philippine flag. I said to myself, "Didn't we already celebrate Independence Day? Shouldn't they have taken down the flags by now?" Then later on I realized that the real Independence Day still haven't arrived, and should be tomorrow, that is today. See how moving these sandwiched holidays making everyone confused? It's totally not right!
@posham (1237)
i don't know why she's doing this? i don't know what goes on in the head of our president but it seems like something's not right... you don't go around moving holidays... the only holiday she haven't moved is christmas, ramadan, and new year... because it will have a political toll... we should move some dates also.. like the termination of her presidency to a much nearer date instead of 2010...
yeah, i think that's really rubbish. i almost forgot what day it is until i got a view of my classmates tv where the festivities were being shown live. i think that a lot of other filipinos forgot the real meaning of this day in our country's history.
@posham (1237)
i know... filipinos are forgetting.. and the administration is making us forget as well... or maybe she's afraid that the people will use the spirit of the day for protest.. i dunnow...
that's what we get of having a Business minded President, But still our country is not gearing up on business sides.
@rsa101 (13336)
Well I think it was the holiday that has been moved but the commemoration is still on the 12th. Cemermonies were still held on this day although its not that grand anymore just a simple flag raising in Luneta for the President and also in Kawit, Cavite at the Aguinaldo Shrine. I think moving the holiday is okay for me since I would be too lazy to go back to work today Friday if it was declared a holiday yesterday. I also think that making it a holiday yesterday won't make any difference as many Filipinos would not even go out and celebrate the day anymore. Most of them would spend their days at the malls.
we at the workforce are also bothered by this. since you know as a laborer, you get a double pay when you go to work on a holiday. but holidays had been moved to mondays and we usually get a monday off, since it's still sunday by then in the U.S. thus, there will be lesser volume of jobs so a few people who are scheduled to report to work will be enough to attend to these jobs. in addition, even if she's moving the holiday to another day, most of the celebrations are still done on the official date. as a result, everyone (including students) suffers from heavy traffic (instead of only those who work on holidays). we were thinking maybe if she could move the new year's day, she would so that it will be year 2009 already even before it turns january. it was a relief she can't do anything about May day since it's an international occasion, every countries' labor day is celebrated every 1st of may; plus, she will have to deal with the workforce. i wonder why the nationalists stayed quiet about moving the independence day. AND no i didn't forget what today is all about. i even planned on putting a face paint of the philippine flag on my face, but i don't have the materials and i'm kinda late for work. but i know some people had really forgotten about it and like what others told here, what she had been doing diminishes the value of every historical dates. it might come to a point when you ask the younger generation when is the philippine independence day and they'll answer you with june 9th. it really confuses a lot of kids.
@neildc (17254)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Most holidays may be moved to another day so that we can have long weekends. But not all of them should be moved. I was disappointed with the "Araw ng Kagitingan" which was also moved to an earlier day. It was my youngest son's birthday. And here comes again, "Araw ng Kalayaan". The true meaning of these holidays seem to be lost when they were not celebrated on its exact day...