did you put a lot of icon on your desktop screen.

@mulau2u (1459)
Malaysia
i have see this happen when i go to the cyber cafe, there a lot of icon around the screen, i dont know if anyone like it, for me this just make my eve spining around to search for one program, on my computer i did not put all the shortcut icon on the desktop, i will make a shorcut folder so it easy for me to arrange it and find the program i want to open. oh someone has told me that if you put so many thing on the desktop screen it then will make your computer running slow while it startup, so what would you says about this, share it to us at here.
@Elixiress (3893)
I have 15 desktop icons, which is one and a half columns. I do not think that that is very many. I hate having a messy desktop. I need to organise it though, because a few of them do not need to be there, such as notepad documents. I have them there to remind me to do stuff, but I suppose they could go in my "My Documents" folder.
@Elixiress (3893)
I don't see the point in putting any programs on your desktop as they are in the start menu, or at least they are on my computer. The notepad documents I have a not shortcuts to notepad, but actual documents that I have made with reminders in them. If they are on desktop then I see them every time I come on my computer and I remember what I was meant to do.
@mulau2u (1459)
i understand what you mean, i use notepad document to put my download link, so it is easy for me to copy and paste it back.
@sk66rc (4261)
As far as "short cut" icons go on the screen of the computer, I have 4... "Hard Drive (my computer), E-Mails (outlook express6), firefox, & trash"... Everything else I access it from "start" menu... I find it easier this way so I don't have whole bunch of junk floating around my screen... If I'm not mistaken, it takes up memories to have many icons on your screen anyways...
@mulau2u (1459)
it is simple for to send all the program shortcut to the desktop after that you make your on folder call "my important programs" - an example, after that you cut back all the icon that you have send to the desktop and paste it inside the new folder that you have been created, so here we can minimum our desktop icon to 3 or 5 icons, easy and simple.. happy computing and posting ;)
@beki710 (949)
I hate having icons on my desktop I think it just looks messy and I agree, I can never find programmes either! I tend to just hide all the icons on my desktop - this is also because I like to see all of my desktop background! - And if I do have icons on my desktop I try to limit it to as few as possible. The less shortcuts the better!
@mulau2u (1459)
your tend to hide it only or you just keep a minimum icon on the desktop.
earlier i had many icons.it was jam packed.but now i catagorised them and put them in folders.
@mulau2u (1459)
that sound good, so it is easy for use to know where is the files has been located.
@vera5d (4007)
I have hard;y nothing on my desktop screen. It drives me crazy when there are too many things or you can't see it. It can make your computer run slower also because documents and applications are supposed to be in their proper folders and not on the desktop - though if they are all shortcuts it would not matter as much.
@mulau2u (1459)
of course the original program has to be on it place, i think it is better like that, not really matter if your desktop full of icon or folder if it look nice but don't make it look so mess, cause other people will think different if they see on it. ;)
@gxnfly (1147)
I don't like many shotcut icons showed on my computer screen,I just put some icons that I use frequently so that it won't blur my eyes,and I can get a clean and neat desktop. I didn't know that too many icons on the desktop screen would make the computer running slow while it startup.When I went to my recent job,there were so many icons on the desktop,so I just deleted most of them,only left the most used ones.
@mulau2u (1459)
i don't know it is true or not but, when our system at startup the first thing it would do is loading all the desktop things like clock,icon,startup program etc, if someone can tell us here then it will be so gentled.
• Poland
Hehehehe... you should see my desktop! It's full of icons on every 3 computers I have in home. Most of them are just study files, not shortcuts. I think I should move them somewhere else, but I don't have time for this everytime I think about it. Cheers and happy myloting.
@mulau2u (1459)
i did put a lot game file on the desktop but suddenly my nephew has accidentally delete it all, so i only put the most i have to use, sure i dont want to block the wallpaper.. cause it show my cute baby.. ;)
hmm, no don't quite like having so many icons on the computer screen. As much as possible only put the icons that are mostly used. I really like to tidied up my computer screen, the icons are I rarely used, I just put it in the menu or in the toolbar, just to for me to see it more quickly if ever I need to used it. As of now, I only got 15 icons on my desktop.
@ashly1979 (1376)
i don't put a lot of icons on my desktop. i only put the ones taht i'm going to use the most, and leave the others alone. it makes it more easier fo me to learn the computer, and plus it doesn't block my desktop wallpaper.
I have 17 of them now. They are the most often application used in this computer. I just read above that desktop icon can slow the start up of the computer, I just know and it makes sense. Maybe I should clean some of them, I mean, we can always open them from the start menu after all right. I have them organized though, I separate them by types, some on the left side, some on the top, some on the upper right, and the recycle bin on the lower far left. Hmm, now, which one is going to be trashed?
@mulau2u (1459)
you know i can minimize icon in the start button and on desktop too, i give you some help here, first look at the program at the start button - check it if have a uninstaller if so just send a shortcut to the desktop, make this to ever program that have uninstaller that you don't want it mess there, after that you can simply delete the icon, so create a new folder in the desktop and call it "All My Shortcuts - if you like the name :)" the cut all the shortcut icon that you have send to the desktop and put it all inside the new folder that you just created, then you will see only a few icon left, now all the shortcuts is in the easy place that you can reach faster, it that easy for you to understand, happy computing and posting ;) oh i forget about the uninstaller - it used to be you can go to control panel and find the "add and remove files" and see there is also the same uninstaller that you see at the start button program so no need to worry if you want to uninstall the program latter.
Thanks for the info! I've tried that before, putting the icons in a folder, but I really don't like to see a folder icon on the desktop, since it's not so cute compared to the other icon's color and shapes.
@mulau2u (1459)
oh then you can cut the folder put it inside my document then make the folder shortcut on desktop, this time you can change it icon with some picture that you like, icon can be you picture it easy just change the file "pic01.bmp to pic02.ico" then you have done..
@peterliu (118)
My desktop is as clean as the clear sky. And by the way, I do not use Windows, I use ubuntu.By default, there is nothing on the desktop. I like it.
@mulau2u (1459)
i never hear about it, what system do you use, can you give me some information about it.
@mulau2u (1459)
i never try linux but i will find the info for more understanding.. happy day friend..
@zamalia2 (116)
I prefer to have no icons at all. I put in hide option. I'm using the objectdock as my shortcut. It's great to have it. Love it even. I want my desktop to look clean and just see the wallpaper. It slow down your computer if you add a lot that will use up your computer's memory. Try the object dock. It's not necessary for apple computers only.
@mulau2u (1459)
i never try it before, it this available on windows.
@zamalia2 (116)
Yes, it's available for windows. I'm using windows. You should try it. Follow the link below. ;) http://www.stardock.com/products/ObjectDock/
@mulau2u (1459)
thank for sharing.. happy computing..
I don't put icons on my desktop screens. Usually when I have to install an application, I don't say yes to the part that asks me if I'd want to have a desktop shortcut created. Aside from making your computer boot up slower, it makes me feel that my screen is so cluttered. Also, I don't use these shortcuts anyway. I prefer to load the application using the 'Run' command, or by selecting it from the Start menu.
@mulau2u (1459)
oh ya did the run command work for any program that we installed.
Err... no :) If I remember the program name right then its ok :)
@xialinye (1403)
so many things on the desktop will definitely slow down your computer.maybe we can just create a new file and then put all the icon into it.that's a good idea for you, i guess.
@mulau2u (1459)
i did that too my friend..
I dont put a lot of icon on the screen.I only put some that frequent used.
@mulau2u (1459)
same as me my friend..
@edleogc (46)
Cyber cafe shops using a lot of icons on their desktops obviously not organized.Personal users could be understandable being a single user as he/she is.It has nothing to do with the taste and standard but the familiarity in usage.Using a PC with a lot of unfamiliar icon means complication and lots of "hide-and-seek" sortie in it.I used to be so unorganized myself but having this cyber cafe biz sort of taught me to categorize my icons and show only actively used ones in the desktop.
@mulau2u (1459)
at cyber cafe i think they use this because they want they customer easy to find the program they need, but this only mess the desktop i think.
I have 15 icons on my desktop screen. They do affect how fast your computer runs but only, in my case, so minimally I do not even notice any improvement if I remove them.
@mulau2u (1459)
it depend on you computer, if you computer run in full upgraded system that not effect to much. it probably happen to computer that has run several year without formating.
@lamcouz (101)
Putting damn lots of folders/files/icons on desktop is a serious nono from me. That makes me dizzy/disoriented whenever I turned on my computer. I tried to minimize the icons on my desktop (only my computer and recycle bin!) which makes it look cooler and neater.
@mulau2u (1459)
after reading you post i remember when i still at college, my friend see my desktop without a single icon on it, yeah my wallpaper look so cool so he want to remove all the icon on his desktop, i don't know how he do it until he ask for me how to delete the recycle bin , omg did you delete it all i say, then he ask me how did i did on my computer, i am only hide it not delete it i say.. then he have to find all the target again.
@shogunly (1406)
• Libya
Usually I hate to have the desktop messy and covered with shortcuts , however the shortcuts started slowly to spread all over the desktop . One day Windows prompted me to remove the unused shortcuts , I usually ignore the prompt but that day I let it remove some of the shortcuts ( it turns out the removed shortcuts are put together in a folder that is still on the desktop ) anyway I turned off the computer and when I turned it on next time I noticed it took almost half the time it used to take before to load Windows . I never thought the number of shortcuts on the desktop would affect how fast the whole system starts up but there it was .
@mulau2u (1459)
i have seen this on cyber cafe and i made a test, yeah the lot of icon don't win the contest ;) it run a bit slowly to startup. ;)
@marababe (2513)
Hi mulau2u! Yes, putting a lot of icons on your desktop can slow down the startup of your computer. I experienced it with my brother's PC. He has a lot, as in a lot on his desktop that's why it takes about 10-20 minutes for it to finish startup. As for me, I only have 2 folders on my desktop. The rest of my apps and my browser are on my dock. That's what's nice about Mac. So, I only wait for like 2 minutes and it's good to go.
@mulau2u (1459)
wow that is so nice buddy, have a nice day and happy posting.