When did your child get their first bad cold or flu sickness?

When did your baby or child get their first really bad cold or bout of flu? What about tummy troubles? Are those common for just babies or children of all ages? My daughter was never really very sick as a baby, except for a mystery illness that landed her in the hospital for nine days. After that it was smoothe sailing until potty training time. My little girl got sick with diarrhea the first time she sat on a big people's toilet at home. I don't think her little body was used to big people germs. I was so sure that everything was clean. But I guess a child's body is always learning new defenses against common household germs. I got all paranoid after that and starting cleaning everything with bleach. The experience made me a better housekeeper, but now I've tried to tone down the germ killing madnes! LOL! Now, I clean like a normal person and don't use bleach anymore. It's too strong. What's the first really bad case of flu or cold or stomach illness that your child suffered? Did it keep them out of school?
@SheliaLee (2738)
My daughter didn't have too much trouble with anything like that until after she had her heart surgery. We were very protective of her, keeping her in and away from places that could contain viruses since she had to gain strength to prepare for her surgery. After she had her surgery she still didn't have too much problems with that because my mother and mother-in-law took turns keeping her every day while I had to work because they didn't want me putting her in day care. My son didn't have that much of a problem with this either. He had more of it than my daughter did but it wasn't anything serious. His first major condition was having to have cataracts removed from both eyes when he was five years old. We had to postpone his first surgery though because I took him to the pediatrician to get blood work done for the surgery. While there he picked up a virus and had to postpost his surger;y for a couple of weeks. We have been very blessed to have pretty healthy kids!!
I'm so pleased to hear that your babies are doing well, now. Blessings for your family. Be well.
@cdparazo (5768)
I am such a paranoid parent. I had both my daughters hospitalized each twice just because I feel more assured that they at the hospital. They only had indigestion, cough and fever and high fever during those times but I had them admitted to the hospital even if their pediatrician advised that they would be okey at home. I got scared of the high fever and that they might get dehydrated. I wanted 24/7 monitoring for them by nurses and doctors no less until I am assured that they are well. My sister always scolds me that I easily panic but I always stand by the principle that it's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my children.
Best to be safe, than sorry. you're a good and watchful mom. Be well.
@gemini_rose (16194)
To be honest with you, it is very rare that my kids get anything like this really bad. When there is a tummy bug going about they have been lucky and only had it mild. I guess the worst time I remember them being really ill was when my two boys brought a tummy bug home from school, they only had it mild and were better within a couple of hours of having it but my daughter who was only about one at the time got it really bad. She had it for five days, after she had it for two days I took her to the doctors, they told me what to do for her. When she still had it after five days I was getting worried, she could hardly walk and she was just getting listless and it had got to the point where she had stopped taking fluids. I took her straight down to the docs and the receptionist tried to fob me off that there were no appointments and that I had to come back in a few hours. I went mad and said I was going no where, I had to wait for nearly two hours to be seen and when I did they sent us straight up the hospital. She was kept in for a few hours and released and it took her a further week before she was fully recovered. She lost half a stone (7lbs) as well.
That's very sad! I'm sorry she was so sick.