Big family - Small family - Which did you have - which do you think is best?

@newtondak (3950)
I had only one sister - my husband had four. I always thought that it would be nice to have more siblings - he always wanted a brother! Did you come from a large or small family? Did you like the size of family that you grew up in or would you have changed it if you could? Which do you think is best? Do you want to have a large or small family yourself when you marry?
I had one sister growing up, the Nuclear family as it were. I never thought much about it, however me and my sister were comelete opposites growing up and continue to be very different. Not that I don't love her, it's just we don't hang out and she lives in a different state. In retrospect I wish I had more siblings. I don't think I want a big family though, because I have two kids and I'm already pulling my hair out.
@newtondak (3950)
I did not want a large family - mostly due to problems with pregnancies and deliveries - but also because I worked outside of the home most of the time the children were growing up. I do think it takes a certain kind of person to raise a large family - one with a lot of patience!
You got that right!
@schabek (44)
• Poland
I think that big familly is better because when they cisiting on christmas is better atmospher when is more ppl in this special time u also have many brothers, sisters cousins. I have only one sister and i wont chawe more siblings.
@newtondak (3950)
I have only one sister and we both always wished for more siblings. Both of us were difficult births for my mother and her health did not permit her to have more children. I'm sure there were times that our parents probably thought that the two of us were more than enough!
@madasp (563)
I'm the youngest of seven and I loved having a large family. My husband and I are expecting our 4th next month and since this one was a complete surprise I know thats enough for me.
@newtondak (3950)
Congratulations and best wishes on the upcoming birth. I have friends from high school that have ten children. She was pregnant with her last when her oldest daughter got married. They are a very close family.
@cishi1230 (197)
we are four siblings, im the 2nd child,my sibling next to me is nine years younger..it's like one big brother and a younger brother, a big sister and a younger sister.. planning your family whether big or small still depends on your economic status of your life, since every part of the world nowadays are suffering from crisis, it is better to be practical..a parent should provide quality of life to their children..
@newtondak (3950)
I totally agree. It is very hard in this economy to make ends meet - I don't know how large families are able to do it these days.
I think that the size of your family has advantages and disadvantages! It depends on how the parents are able to coup with it. Some families can have a large family and still be able to give attention to all children equally and other cannot..... The biggest issue for me is that large families tend to not be able to show love towards ALL their children equally. Sometimes children grow up not feeling that they were loved or cared for enough. The parents tend to spend time raising the youngest ones, while the oldest children tend to watch over the middle children. However in having a large family, you are taught more about sharing space, getting along more, the house tends to be more strict, and rules clearly laid out, the children are raised in a fasion where they know their duties and they do them.
@newtondak (3950)
I think that all too often, the care of the younger children falls to the older children, and I don't think that is quite fair to the older ones. It is good that they have responsibility, but not to the extend that they're doing the job of the parent.
I had one brother growing up, and as the oldest, always wished for at least one more sibling. Our family was wonderful, but the want for an older brother was something I always experienced. When I got married and started a family, I did not have the intention of having a large family, as parenting and providing for a large family, is an expensive road to walk. However, I ended up with five wonderful children. I would not trade it for the world now, and gladly wake up each morning to face the difficulties that having a family of 7 creates on a daily basis.
@newtondak (3950)
Once you have them, you can't think of not having any of them - there's no way you could do without any of them! My ex-MIL was from a family of 11 children (only 1 boy) and my ex-FIL was from a family of twelve children. My MIL said that the hardest thing for her to adapt to when she got married and moved away from home was having to do everything by herself. She had always had a sibling to help to the laundry or the dishes, or to help cook a meal!