The "Best" President?

@newtondak (3950)
It was necessary for many of our Presidents to deal with great trials - war, depression, national disasters - of all the U.S. Presidents, which one do you think had the greatest impact on our country during his term in office? Our next President will need to "step up to the plate" quickly after taking office. The war in Iraq, continually rising gas and food prices, and projected major shortages of commodities due to floods and droughts will all be situations that will need to be addressed. Are either of the candidates up to the challenge?
Two presidents come to mind when I think of the "Best". The first would have to be of coarse the first president George Washington. The second would have to be the president that changed America forever and that would be Abraham Lincoln. There are a couple more but these two are the ones I think were the best of all time.
@newtondak (3950)
I think George Washington probably had the roughest road to travel - every President since that has had an example to follow and there was a government in place for them when they took office. You might way that Washington "started from scratch" when he took office! In the same way, Lincoln traveled a road that no President before him had traveled - and one that was so unpopular that our country fought itself for the only time. You wonder how much more he would have accomplished if his life hadn't been taken.
I think Bill Clinton was the greatest president in the United States. He work very hard so all Americans could have prosperity. Yes, Bill did have some bad things and some wrong doings, but overall I must say he did a very good job at running this country.
@anniepa (26102)
Whoever our next President is had better be up to the task because does he have a job to do! As for who our best President has been, I'm going to take a beating for this but I have to say Bill Clinton. I can only go by what I lived through and what I've seen my friends and family live through. He made a personal mistake and was impeached for it but overall we had nothing but peace of prosperity in the nineties, the best times I've experienced in my adult life. Probably going back through history, our best President would be Lincoln because what he did certainly had a huge impact on our country and on many lives since then. It's hard to imagine what life would be like today if he'd never have been President. Annie
@newtondak (3950)
President Clinton was never impeached. There was a time when some were calling for his resignation and threatening impeachment, but it never happened.