Military Tribunals or US Courts?

@clrumfelt (5427)
The first link below describes the history of the USA using Military Tribunals to try and punish war criminals. The second link describes the recent ruling of the US Supreme Court granting war criminals their day in the US Courts. What do you think of the Supreme Court's ruling? My opinion is that the ACLU and Supreme Court justices tied President Bush's hands from taking care of business by not allowing Military Tribunals to try the war criminals. That's why there was such a long detainment at Guantanamo. People blame the president for that but they should be blaming the ACLU and courts that tied his hands. http://www.theamericancause.org/patmilitarytribunals.htm http://hotair.com/archives/2008/06/12/breaking-supreme-court-says-gitmo-detainees-must-have-access-to-us-courts/
@xParanoiax (7005)
Thing is, you can't gaurentee that military tribunals will be fair. Why? Because our own government would appoint them and there has been little credibility and integrity to this current administration. I'm a bit iffy about them being tried in America too, but the thing is...not all of them are criminals. Many of them are innocents. Detainees aren't war criminals, you see, they're not even prisoners of war. What they are is a kind of limbo. To be a war criminal, you'd have to be convicted of a crime against our country. And most terrorists haven't actually done anything against our country, so I'm afraid none of the terminology fits very well. Why shouldn't we blame Gauntanomo on Bush? It's his creation. If it were in America it'd be ILLEGAL to hold people with no evidence that they've committed a crime. Plus, their methods for finding evidence sucks. Confession under duress is always faulty and is a stupid way to get information. If you treat people poorly enough, after awhile they will nfess to anything...just to make it end. As I see it, this is the only solution that works. That is; the tribunals can not be counted on to do what they're supposed to, what they would've done in the old days...finding evidence, so it's left up to our courts to try to do that. Blame it on the system being fecked up and corrupted. Even I admit, it's not the best solution in the world. But unless someone has a better one, I can't say this one is bad.
@clrumfelt (5427)
The thing about this war is that war criminals come in so many different packages it is difficult to determine who should be charged with a crime. The lines between guilt and innocence are so blurred it is just very complicated to charge anyone. This is a new kind of warfare and they need a new set of rules to help them know who is guilty of something. It would be hard to arrest mothers who have strapped bombs to their toddlers and sent them into crowded markets, but they are war criminals just the same as soldiers on a battlefield.
@gewcew23 (8012)
The Gitmo detainees did not commit a crime on US soil so in my most humble opinion they should not be tried on US soil. This detainees committed a military crime and should be tried under military law. These detainees were captured over in Iraq and Afghanistan, their crime they were carring out military opperations without being in military uniforms or under a nations flag. Para-military forces do not recieve protection from the Geneva Convention. Para-military forces can be executed on the battle field. What America's crime was we decided to treat him as POW's. If we had just called them POW's we actually could not try them. Under the Geneva Convention it is illegal to try a POW of a crime. Also POW's can be held imprisoned until the war is over, or exchanged. Last time I check there is still a war going on, so what is the big deal. We held Germans imprisoned until WWII was over with, that was perfectly legal, and not one of the German POW's were tried for anything.
@clrumfelt (5427)
It sounds like someone didn't do their homework this time. I think the ACLU has screwed everything up with its meddling. This is going to get very messy for the USA.