i have hardly 2 hours work in an eight hour shift

i have this paticular problem of haviong only about 2 hours job in a eoight hour shift, the rest of the time is whiled away reading newsapaers, chatting, office gossip, snacking, and aother crap. is it generally liek this in all offices, how do people get a chance to do overtime work when my situation is that i dont even have enoguh to do for 2 hours
@peavey (16797)
I agree with the other posters - most office jobs are more demanding than that. Maybe if you look around you can find more things to do? Organizing things or making lists, something like that?
I agree with the first response, most offices and workplaces are way more swamped than that. Most people can't get their work down in one day because there is so much of it. I only had one or two places where I worked where they didn't have enough work, but I had to stay there and wait for the work to come. Most of the places I worked were really busy and overwhelmed. Have you tried asking around if there's something you can do? It would actually make you look good to both your boss and your coworkers.
@fwidman (11515)
I don't think most office jobs are quite that light and some office workers would probably be willing to trade jobs with you for a change of pace :)