different langauges

@avidwhit (1492)
Mexico
I speak english as a first language although my spelling is terrible. I speak spanish as a second. I have come to the point where I now dream in spanish. Never have attended a spanish class in my life although at times i think I speak and understand it better than some who speak it as a first language. Does anyone else speak more than 1 language? After learning the second language, do you think your first has inproved or been handicated?
@ellie333 (21029)
I only speak English but can understand some Spanish as my mother lives in Spain. Ellie :D
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
Does your mother speak to you in spanish? Did you grow up in a spanish speaking house hold? Is your mother from spain? Smetimes better to understand than speak.
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi David, no my mother doesn't speak Spanish, my step-father does and I was bought up in the UK but whenever I am in Spain I mix with the Spainish and know what they are saying. Ellie :D
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
Sounds like you have a gift of understanding. From our dicussions and the help youve given me I know its not just in regards to spanish! Thanks! David
@joliefille (3696)
I speak Visayan which is my dialect, then Tagalog (Filipino), English and Spanish. Spanish was easier for me to learn because some words in my dialect and in my national language are in spanish. I did feel at one point while I was studying it in school that it sort of handicapped my english for awhile. Haha. But I had overcome that. I now make my living communicating to people in spanish. Done it for 5 years now.
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
Four langauges as well very impressive! Think that might be what I need is a little schooling to help expand my vocabulary in spanish. Thanks for the post!
@chej18 (915)
My 1st language is called Tagalog, my second language is English i dont have any problem w/ my 1st language when i learned english but then when i learned more language like dutch, spanish and a little bit japanese language then i got my problem.Since i am using dutch language very often the problem shows up that my english is getting bad and also my spelling is getting worst.And if i am talking to my own language now i need to think very hard and carefull on what i am saying becouse sometimes i trying to define it in dutch language.Since i work in hotel and using multiple language i have the feelings that my english and tagalog has been handicated. Greetings from che!
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
Working in a hotel I know how that is when everyone is speaking different languages and with different pronuciation! Glad to know Im not alone! I learned a bit of dutch way back...But all I can remember is ik how fan yow ...of corse the spelling is in english. sincerely and greeting to you as well from david thanks for the response.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Interesting! I'm Scots/Irish,with English as my native Language,but have learned German and worked there in the past-I would consider being able to think in a Language as a benchmark for Fluency..Now,being able to DREAM in another Language...! I'm still picking up Spanish and French,and would like to be Fluent in Both..I remember coming back from Germany,having immersed myself in the Language for a year,and speaking with someone in English again,managed to drop in a German word without realising it until I'd said it! You need to "Change Gear" when using 2 or more Languages,I think..Concepts in one Language don't translate directly into another..Try translating a favourite song into another Language!
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
I agree concepts and alot of other things dont translate dirrectly. I impressed buy anyone who takes on more than 2 languages! 2 is enough for me. I find that my vocabulary is way more limited in spanish and so when I go back to speaking english I find my self limited in my ability to express and articulate. Wish I started younger I think id be a bit more apt to learn others. With the 2 floating around in my head now I sure dont need another to remember correct order is the car red is red car. Well best success to you and spanish and french there are some simularities between these 2 I think You we deffinatelly be well rounded.