Does your PC pay for itself?

@owlwings (39740)
Cambridge, England
A PC is a relatively large expense (and depreciates rapidly). Connecting to the Internet is not cheap, either. Does your PC/Internet pay for itself by the way you use it?
@nannacroc (4049)
It was meant to but I do so many things that are just time wasting that it hasn't happened yet. Having said that Christmas gifts last year were paid for by vouchers earned from internet survey sites so that helped a lot.
@owlwings (39740)
• Cambridge, England
I won a £100 voucher for Amazon, so that covered most of my Christmas gifts this year (plus something nice for myself ). Nannacroc, don't write things off as 'timewasting' (unless that is genuinely and consciously what you are doing, of course - I play Patience as a 'timewasting' thing - but recreation is as important as working, so really very few things are truly 'timewasting'.) The important thing is to have a goal which is so deep in our being that everything we do unconsciously furthers it. Some things help us towards that goal specifically but many others give us experience and education (and recreation, of course) which help us reach that goal, even if indirectly.
@jpso138 (7868)
I invested on my laptop since I need it for my lectures and in training students and participants on my first aid and other emergency care courses. It has been paid already in so far as my earning on my lectures are concerned. In so far as my internet connection, I am still working on it. I have some online earnings but still not enough to cover up the internet charges. But I think it due time I will reach that point. My earnings from time to time online have been increasing.
@owlwings (39740)
• Cambridge, England
I'm very glad to hear that. You have the right idea ... the one I was looking for when starting the discussion!
@marina321 (4561)
Yes, I think mine has paid for itself already and the internet bill pays for itself by the way I use it. Have used my PC through uni,projects and coursework, have got all my jobs through it,do work on it, entertain on it- with it-and through it, socialise on it and my tot plays games on it(which has got me a few sanity grabbing moments),list goes on...As an IT professional, don't think I could be without it:) I use various ways to earn money online, my internet bill is a tenner at the moment and it is paid for in one or two days through what I do online through one of my favourite sites. (there's a link to my blog on my profile page incase anyone's wondering LOL:)
@marina321 (4561)
Thanks for the BR, happy myLotting
@baileycows (3669)
I think that mine has been well paid for. I use it to make extra money, do my school work which in return eventually will help me make more money and I also use it for my job which I currently pay all my bills. So I will say that the large expense I think has paid off in my case.
@owlwings (39740)
• Cambridge, England
I think you have the right idea. That's the sort of answer I was looking for!
It is not so expensive in my town! Anyway, the PC is so necessary for me that I have to use it even if I have to pay through the nose. Unlike some other guys, my computer doesn't pay for itself by the way that I use it though! Without it, I can't do so many things, as you know! Nowadays, we have to do lots of work and study by the computers like writing a required paper, sending an important messege, searching some related materials, etc! It may not be fun but indispensable!
@pumpkinjam (5801)
As paying for the internet is the responsibility of my other half and I am the one using it to earn money, I'm not sure I can give a fair answer to this! I will look at it jointly for this purpose. Well, we pay about £18 per month set rate for internet. We earn approximately £5 every 3 months from myLot and occassionaly a pound or two from other places. This doesn't really work out very well but recently, since I have begun article writing, these incomes have been boosted by my £19 earnings from sold articles! So yes, the internet has paid for itself this time but I have yet to see whether this will continue to be the case! Although, I have not taken into account the amount we pay in electricity for using the computer but that's probably only a few pence per day.
@owlwings (39740)
• Cambridge, England
Keep at it (and keep accounts, as I'm sure you do - as you are probably aware, the Inland Revenue can be interested up to six years from now). There may come a point when you need to gently point out just who pays for your Internet connection - and why. I have to say that most people are quite happy to pay £20 a month for their entertainment ... that is, after all, barely the cost of two cinema tickets and much less that a night out at a restaurant for two! I would guess, too, that it is considerably less than your guy spends in a night out at the pub! Everything is relative. At some point the question "Why are we paying for this?" inevitably comes up. I think you have shown that you have good answers!