A night in the emergency room!

@jerzgirl (8037)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
I was up all night at the ER with my daughter. She had apparently injured her elbow during a training workout (her first, of course) and 24 hours later, couldn't move it without excruciating pain. She didn't know it was hurt until the next day because it seemed to only ache from the workout. But, by around half passed midnight, she was in such pain, she could only cry. So - it was time for Mom to the rescue. Her boyfriend wouldn't go to the ER with her (he needed his sleep, he said) and she couldn't drive her car because it's a manual transmission and that was the arm she hurt. So, I got out of bed, got dressed again (I had just gotten into bed less than 15 minutes before) and waited for BF to bring her here (I should be lucky he even did that, I suppose). By the time we got to the ER, it was around 1:30. The waiting room was almost empty, so we thought maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be an all-nighter. We were wrong. Not that it wasn't exciting. A woman came stumbling in through the door screaming that she was in pain, "Help me! Help me!" They got her a wheel chair and tried to get her information and she became more and more abusive and verbally attacked anyone who dared to ask her questions instead of immediately taking her in to treat her "pain". My daughter said, "I think she's here for drugs - I don't think she has a problem except that she wants drugs." She then went on to tell me about someone she knew who would do that, how they would decide who would pretend to be in pain, what medicine they would try to get, and how they would get someone "normal" (meaning, someone who doesn't look like a "druggy") to show up to "verify" their illness. She then said, after they finally took this woman into the back, "if they don't offer her anything stronger than Tylenol 3, you watch - she'll really come unglued, I'll bet anything." I don't think the woman was in the back for more than five minutes before she came charging out of the exam rooms, no longer in pain, wearing only her shorts and her hospital gown, yelling to everyone, "Well, they kicked me out!! They said I was too loud!!" She followed this with multiple expletives as she left the building. In the meantime, her "sister", who showed up right on schedule after she first came in to back up her sister's claims, had already left the ER to parts unknown. Apparently, the first woman had threatened people in the exam rooms and they had called the police who showed up almost as soon as she went outside to get into her car (parked illegally in the paramedic spots). People inside, who had grown in number by this time, were periodically walking outside to see if they could figure out what was going on - one man came back in to tell us that she got out of her car when the police showed up saying her battery was dead and went storming up the street and got into her "sister's" car instead. I couldn't believe how my daughter pegged her so well! She needs to get a job in hospital security! LOL Well, now that the entertainment portion of the program was over, we went on to a longer wait before being taken to the back. Finally, multiple people later, we got into the back where my daughter was checked by a nurse and asked for a urine sample to do a pregnancy test (mandatory at her age before they did xrays). Then we waited yet again until we both fell asleep - she on the gurney, me in a chair. Eventually, she was xrayed, nothing was broken, and we were released with a sling, a prescription, a note to the gym (so she won't have to pay for more training until she's released by her physician) and the sudden realization that her ER doctor was the son of someone I had gone to high school with. (I'm THAT OLD?!?!?!) By the time we got out, the sun was up, so we drove through McDonald's to get some breakfast, and went home to finally sleep. I slept all day - I couldn't believe it. I could still fall asleep even now. I've been up several times today, yet I haven't stayed up more than an hour and a half without going back to sleep again. Gone are the days of the all-nighter! My recovery time is just plain shot!
wow you had quite a night with a lot of side show entertainment to keep you from falling asleep. I am glad your daughter did not break anything, but an injured elbow can hurt like the dickens. i fell two years ago and smashed my shoulder, my left shoulder, so bad they had to do surgeryh,take out the smashed bones and pujt in a shoulder joint replacement. I arrived in the er by abulance and was in much pain was taken to er then to x ray and finally was given something for pain. no fun hurting ones arm or shoulder. was in the hospital four days and rehab for far too long,.lol.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
That's what happened to my father, too. Completely shattered his shoulder. His doctor recommended that he not get surgery since he had limited movement still and was right handed (the injury was to the left shoulder). Dad was stubborn and went to an orthopedic surgeon who recommended operation. He never came home - he ended up in a nursing home because the surgery combined with his age pushed him over the top psychologically and he never recovered. But, because of his injury, I can relate to the pain you experienced having watched Dad with his. My daughter's arm is better, but she's afraid to use it like she did because of the extent of the pain. She doesn't want to injure it again. And, the trainer who was working with her told her the pain was normal and made her work against it that day. Sounds to me like he needs some additional training himself!
@ElicBxn (60894)
Ya know, I just watched a episode of Trama: Life in the E.R. where there was one of those women came in. Now, I went to the ER back in March when my cat perferated my finger. I got an IV of antibotics, a script for more and a report to animal control. I was there for about 5 hours. I was exhausted by the time I got out. Yes, I even dozed off while I was there. Before the former roommate moved out she was often off to the hospital at night. It got to the point where she couldn't get to the car anymore and I made her call for an ambulance. The last few times I flat out told her that if she was going, she could call me if they released her because I just couldn't take off more time from work and I couldn't go to work after going to the hospital.
@jerzgirl (8037)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I can understand your roommate situation, especially when it was becoming habitual. The boyfriend didn't have to go to work today. They were supposed to go to the driving range and hit some balls, but oh well. Moms are here for things like this.
@blackbriar (9080)
Wow! Sounds like you 2 had a very eventful night at the ER. Wish mine were that eventful whenever I take hubby into the ER and have to wait forever. I end up reading a book, playing games on my cell, or sleeping. Glad to hear your daughter's arm is ok. Guess she won't be driving for a while.