Would you offer money advice?

@sedel1027 (17855)
After hearing how we are almost debt, my MIL asked us for advice. She sent us all her info and I am afraid that our honest opinion is going to shock her more than anything else. We both agree that she needs to see the big picture, regardless of how upset she may be. We did send her a sheet that out lined her income and costs with suggestions of what she could do to help decrease what she pays out, but the outcome isn't pretty. If you knew someone did not have the income to provide for themselves, how would you tell them? Would you be up front or try to mask the real issue? Is it okay to offer people advice to what they could do if they ask?
@stephcjh (32328)
I have helped several people figure out what to do with their bills and income. some of them followed my good advice and others didn't. I don't mind helping people and try to figure out what they can do to make it and survive with what they make. I tell them straight up what it will take for them to make it no matter what. they have to see what they need to do to make it on their income.
@sedel1027 (17855)
I am hoping with us showing her how bad things are that she takes action. She is always crying poor, but now we know how bad it is and it makes you wonder how people just sit there and not worry about how they pay their bills.
@jer31558 (3683)
I think that it is fine to tell someone your opinion and offer advice if they request it. So far as when they do not ask and yet you have advice that may help them, I believe that it is according to how you are able to deliver that advice. Take the same piece of advice and two different people, one may sound like an insult to the people and the other may sound like sincere concern.