Coupon Rations

@DCMerkle (1281)
Lately the topic high prices can be found anywhere. Lately, I have been talking to quite a few of the elderly people in my community. The one thing that they are saying is that with way it going on now in the economy, they are expecting the U.S. to go back to coupon rations. I'd heard my mother and grandmother talk about that from time to time when I was young. So, I did a little research. It seems that coupon rations were used for gas, tires, diary products, clothing and just about anything. They were used during the years 1942-45. There was a shortage of those items because we were at war. Do you think that we are moving on that same way? Would coupon rationing be the answer for everyone that can not afford the things that they may have been able to buy with no trouble before the economy got out of control? DCMerkle
I am afraid that we will be heading to much worse at the rate things are going. People are going to suffer. It is especially going to be hard on the people that live on a fixed income. I am one of them. My income is very low and it is to the point that I cannot afford to drive my vehicle and I am currently praying for the first of the month so we can get some groceries. We have very little. And it is just getting worse.
@DCMerkle (1281)
It's been that way for people on fixed incomes for the longest. What could at one time be stretched to at least 3 weeks can now be stretched, if they are lucky, into 2 weeks. I hope you find some resources that you can tap into before the first of the month. Believe me, I know how that goes.
It could happen. I ave no confidence in the economy in the long term. I think we need to rely on ourselves as much as possible. I dont know how much the government will be able to help us in the future.
@DCMerkle (1281)
So, true. I know that whoever wins the election in November will have to win a second term. The first term will be trying to get things under control before it all takes effect in the next term of 4 years. Thanks for your response.
@us2owls (1681)
I was born and raised in the UK - World War 2 was a part of my early years. Everything was rationed for us. I remember it very well. I can also remember the first clothes I got after rationing was over. I didn't want to take it off. My coat was bright red trimmed with a little black velvet. I was so proud of that outfit. Some of the kids today need to live like that in order to make them appreciate the little things in life and give up their demands for expensive toys. My youngest grandson bought a video game the other day - $69.95 - think of the food that would have bought for some poor hungry person. I think rationing might do us some good.
@chej18 (915)
Yes indeed that the economy is going down in us but i dont think the good solution for that is coupon rations.It has to be that we are going further not going back.But i hope the economy will be better again.