Share your money aving/stretching tips

@cassidy22 (2975)
From a discussion regarding large families, I had commented on how I don't know how families afford to have lots of kids. Many people responded saying there are so many ways to save money... I want to open this discussion so folks can SHARE their tips for stretching their dollars for their families, especially in this time of a recession. Let's help each other save without making our families go without. THANKS
I have 6 people in my family and one thing I do to save money is with meals, I cook meals that can be doubled or tripled. Leftovers rarely go to waste. I make a lot of our breakfast foods from scratch like pancakes and waffles. I make these in bulk and freeze then for quick breakfast servings. I buy in bulk when ever I possibly can. I use powdered milk and eggs for my baking instead of fresh ones for 99% of my baking. I use reusable things as often as I can like instead of paper towels I will use cheap washrags or old clothes cut up that can be washed and reused. I cut my own kids hair and do my husbands (that is nearly $100 a month right there). I save my change and use that for special outings or surprises for the kids, buying gifts year round instead of waiting until the Christmas season gets here and the prices spike up, save money and nerves there cause you miss the crowds, attitudes and little extras you really don't need. Gotta love the thrift store, flea markets and yard sales for bargains. Going out really isn't an option so we get water balloons and turn the kids loose in the yard. They have a blast and get out of the house and I'm out a few dollars in water. We do the library thing a lot, getting books from the library is a big help cause my kids love to read (plus we homeschool) so at least once a month we go to the library and spend a few hours up there and they just lay in the aisle reading books and they we check out a few dozen and they read more at home. We also rent videos from the library too. All free provided you return them on time. We have a large aquarium up here so I bought a family pass for $80 for one full year, we can go anytime for this year for free, paying regular price each time would cost us right at $80 each trip so we have already more than gotten our money back by going twice this year so far and we might go later this week too. Last year I bought a one year pass for the local museum which I might do again since they enjoyed it a lot.
@cassidy22 (2975)
So, buying in bulk apparently saves. But I don't see how COOKING in bulk saves me money. I can see how it saves me time. But I don't see how baking 3 times as many waffles and freezing them is a money saver in the long run. For my husband and I, I can see that it might actually be wasteful, if we don't eat it and it gets freezer burned, then we've wasted food. Thanks for the tips though. We're really good at saving and being thrifty - any extra tips can help.
Your right, it wouldn't make sense to cook a lot of something you might not eat. I cook this way because I know my kids will eat what I'm cooking, otherwise I wouldn't spend the time and effort to do it. I just got back from the library and got a ton of cookbooks and I plan on spending some time finding some new recipes that I can make for me and my family and make cheaply using the foods that are in season and grains that are already dried, but still relatively cheap. Meat is getting to be less and less in our house but anyway you look at it food is still one of the biggest expenses in our house.
@cassidy22 (2975)
My husband and I just recently redid our budget. We reduced our spending in a lot of areas, but not in food! We need to eat, and we know that grocery prices are going to continue to rise with gas prices, so we don;t want to skimp on healthy food and fresh produce. We are growing a lot of our own food right now, which helps. We love the library too!
@kingcrapper (1538)
saving money is very important! Here are some tips I personally use! Pay yourself first: my IRA gets a percent before I ever see it. Save change: always make change and drop it all in a large plastic container! You will be surprised how much one can accumulate in a month by doing this! Coupons: enough said here. Goodwill/Salvation Army: good clothes at an even better price. Sell plasma. Use a very big freezer and buy in bulk! How is that for a start?