Tears trickled down my cheeks

Well, I couldn't help it. Who wouldn't weep? These were HUGE onions, and I had to make omelet double quick for lunch. And as I chopped these onions the tears trickled down my cheeks, and I could hardly see what I was chopping. Quite a natural phenomenon, I know--weeping while chopping onions. And who doesn't weep while chopping onions? Unless you know of a way to prevent the tears from rolling down your cheeks when you chop onions. Do you know of such a way? I will be glad if you share. Cheers and happy mylotting
@madlees (1381)
Hi there.. The easiest way is that Peel them as soon as you get them, pack them up in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator. You can take it whenever you like and chop it, no tears.. Another one is , just peel them and immerse them in water for ten to fif teen minutes. If they are big, cut in to two and then immerse them in the water For more tips and tricks http://indianfood.about.com/od/quicktips/Quick_Tips.htm http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/CookingTipsandTricks.htm
Thanks a lot for those wonderful links, madlees! Cheers!
@madlees (1381)
I always stock peeled onions like that, because it is easier to get some and chop in the mornings. I have to cook fast and leave for the office in the morning. You should know our ( Indian ) needs lots of onions, small and big. We keep peeling onions and chopping them. Even immersing in the water will help. sure.
@gabs8513 (48715)
I was once told that if you leave the Onion in Water for a couple of hours then it will not reduce you to tears lol I have not tried it yet as I keep forgetting to put it in Water for a couple of Hours I do hope you find a way and when you do please let me know
Onions have a lovely flavor. Maybe that's why I don't toss them into water. Somehow I feel the flavor would disappear into the water. Sounds dumb, right? :) Cheers and thanks for the response!
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
When I was in school I was in the Sea Scouts and once, while camping out, I was given some onions to cut up for eveybody's dinner. I knew onions made you cry but I didn't think too much about it until I started cutting these things up. Soon there were tears pouring down my cheeks. The scout leader came by and said : " Look, Bryan is cring his heart out ! " Everybody came to look and there I was cutting away with the stream of tears pouring down. I never forgot it. And I ducked every onion cutting assignment since. It never happened again.
LOL Bryan, that is really funny! Thanks for telling me the story. Cheers
@GreenMoo (11842)
Onions produce a mild sulfuric acid when you chop them, which is what makes your eyes water. You shouldn't moan though, as it's also the stuff that gives them a nice flavour. As the compound that makes your eyes water is released as a gas, wearing goggles is the only fool proof method of keeping your eyes clear. You might look like a bit of a twit, but at least you won't make your mascara run! Or you could peel your onions then stick them in the fridge to chill before chopping the ends off. The cold alters the eye watering properties some how. Whatever you do, don't stop eating onions though. They're too good!
I wouldn't stop eating them even to save my life. LOL.. you are right! They are too good! Cheers!
Hm...i think it's a normal thing if you weep while chopping onions. Maybe you can avoid it by wink as often as possible. Or close your eyes as long as possible. If it doesn't work,,i advice you to use glasses. You can try..
@ersmommy1 (12600)
I like onions in my dishes. Great flavor sometimes. But I do get out of chopping. If I have my hubby home I ask him. My uncle is a cook. If he is around, he'll do it for me. Then I refrigerate any extra for next time.I know it may be cheating. But it is full proof.
@mayka123 (10756)
Peel the onions, cut them in half and immerse them in water for sometime. When required cut them and you will have no tears.
Chop 'em fast! I've gotten pretty good at chopping them fast and not crying so much, but I think I must be more sensitive than a lot of people are to onions. I took some out of the fridge today, chopped them fast underneath a ventilation fan, and I was still bawling! Yuck! I've taken to using a food processor to chop them, now. My food processor also has a slicing blade, so I can use it when I want them sliced, too.
I've heard lemons are supposed to help but since i don't like onions i don't use them very much,but i used to use them quite a bit when i was cooking for my job.it did make it a little easier but i still had a hard time doing it.
@luvstochat (6914)
I have sometimes put on sunglasses to block the tears from running! Oinions can really burn your eyes sometimes! My husband will come home and ask why I am crying! I try to make sure a window is open close to where I am cutting the oinion to for the fresh air.
@missbdoll (1168)
I wish I did, I had this problem a couple of weeks back.And the worste thing was my eyes stung for the rest of the night.
I think one way to elimanate it is to regridgerate them but I also believe this takes away some of the flavor of a nice onion. Want to know my big secret? I buy them already chopped at the store...I cheat.
Already chopped at the store? Wow, thats cool! We don't get already chopped onions here. :) Cheers and thanks for the response!
Oh.. when i read the topic.. i thought that you well in a sombre mood.. and gloomy feeling in you had made you to weep..but once i read the whole subject.. it was Onion..the cause for your actions.. No ideas i have... but one small practice my Mom used to follow.. she used to soak the onions in the water for about 10 minutes and peel afterwards..and she says it get rid of the burning sensation and tears trickling.