does anybody know wats is a 486

ther is a computer at the bakcyard in our office which is upposed to be a 486, is it of any value now, or only scrap vlaue, does it have any antique value
@amitavroy (4826)
well it depends you know. i will not even dream of using a 486 as a computer if i have some work. but yes for old things to be presented nicely in a museum i think it is a very good addition.
@paroloza (140)
Not so long a time ago, a 486 was the most sophisticated computer model around. The number refers to the Intel 80486 processor. I'm not sure about, but I think I got one for Christmas in 1994. Surely it was a 486 on which I premiered Windows 95. The 400 series was the forerunner of the 500 series, more often called Pentium (of greek penta = five). You will have to guard it a couple of years more in order to make it museum worthy.
@chennai_b02 (1735)
Yes, according to me, it have only the scrap value, or else you can give it to any of the childran to play some games.. Infact, most of the recent games, which can be played by the current generations children are not supported by the system branded "486".. Since those version is not supported the Windows, these games you cannot play over there.. and also, the capacity is also very less, It seems to be a very slow system, when you compare to the Pentium 4 plus.. versions. May be any of the Browsing centres/computer centres (where the Basic computer learning activities took places), if they need you can give it to them, because some of the new people those who need to learn, it will be used by them.. According to me, other than the above i have not found any of the usages of the system "486"
@ferdzNK (3214)
Intel 486 is the predecessor Pentium Class computer. Its still too early to have its antique value. I remember using that with Win95 and Win98. if its still working I think DSL linux would still run with that.