Animal Shelter

I was looking up shelters around me, actually hoping to find a job. But none of them had real job listings, only volunteer oppurunities....so I figured I'd just look at it, at least. There is one shelter that listed some types of volunteers they need, and one is dog walker.Basically you just get to take the dogs out and play with them. And the shelter said that they allow their volunteers just to show up when they can, and can just hang out with all the animals. That sounded pretty good to me...I mean, I was looking up jobs because my work right now is stressing me out. But now I think maybe being able to just go to a shelter and spend some time with the animals will help relieve somne of that stress. So I emailed the shelter, telling them a little about myself. So they know I work at Petsmart, and that I'm already around dogs and cats all the time. And they know I work nights, so my scedule is a little tight. I think everything will work out okay though! I sent them an application today, I am expecting a call or email tomorrow to set up an orientation date/time!:) And I looked up some of the dogs they have at the shelter right now...SO CUTE! lol. But I'm always worried I'll fall in love with one/all of them lol. Wish me luck please!=P
@NonaSaile (925)
I wish you luck and a lot of happy times there! Maybe one or all of those dogs will fall in love with you! :D
lol i hope so! =P Dogs at my work tend to get used to me pretty quickly, so I'm hoping I can use that to my advantage at a shelter, and maybe get a few adopted out! It would make me SO happy to help even 1 dog get a new family! Maybe just by talking to someone who is looking for a new dog.
now don't make me cry, please... i want a dog, but that's impossible under my circumstances. bless you! may your tribe increase!
I understand that some people can't own dogs!! I never blame or judge people who can't adopt O.o Please don't cry!!!
@carolbee (16244)
How kind of you to offer to volunteer at a shelter. Volunteers are needed at so many different work places such as hospitals, etc. I really admire people who do this out of the kindness of their hearts. Are you also going to stay with your current position? Good luck, carolbee
Me, my mom and my sister volunteered once before at a shelter, but that was years ago and I was too young to deal with the dogs...so I was 'stuck' with the cats. Now I love cats, my mom has 5, I have 1 (all together in house though). I love them! But I think of myself as more of a dog person, so now that I'm old enough I would love to help out with the dogs. I would volunteer at a hospital, but I just don't think I could handle it. i don't do good with blood, or any of that medical stuff. yes I will stay with my current job. I have to have a way to make money, so I can't quit unless I find another job. That's why I kind of wish I could find a job with a shelter, but they don't seem to be actually hiring, just looking for volunteers.
@writersedge (22579)
You don't need luck, just time to do it! Take care and smile during your interview!
Oh I'm a big smiler! lol. I smile all the time, sometimes without even realizing it =P I catch myself smiling when I'm driving home from work in the morning lol. I just believe that smiles can brighten anyones day! =P Thanks writers!
@stephcjh (32388)
I wish you the best with it. I know how much you love dogs. I do too. I think it would be great if you were able to volunteer some time for them. I know I would love to be able to do that also but everything is so far away from me and I already work seven days per week online. I am so wore out right now. I know you will love the dogs very much.
Wow you work 7 days a week!? How come you don't give yourself a break!? Sorry =P Don't mean to get nosey, but I bet you deserve time off! lol. What do you do? Can I ask? I do love dogs, and if I don't hear back from this shelter I'll just look for another around! lol. This one is 30 minutes, so maybe I will be able to find one closer. Thanks steph! :)