The birds and our dog

@Barb42 (4216)
The other afternoon, my husband had gone out to the mailbox to get our mail. I had walked out back and saw the dog acting sort of funny. He seemed to be jumping at one of the trees. He would run around a little, run back to a bush, then back to the tree, and then try jumping up to the hanging limb again. I kept hearing this noise and looked up on the limb. I saw a brown thrasher. He/she would walk to the end of the branch, start making her noise, making the dog go crazy and start jumping. Then, she'd walk back up that limb and on to the other side of the tree. She kept doing this until the dog got up on a big pile of red rock, thinking he could reach the bird in the tree. Of course, he could never jump that high. My husband figured out the bird was trying to draw the dog away from her nest either in the bush or in the edge of the woods, since the tree was very close to the woods. The dog finally gave up by the time my husband returned to the house. And, the bird quit making that funny noise. I thought this was so funny! You would just have to see the dog - he is too small to jump too high, although he is fast enough to catch a butterfly.
@tdemex (3545)
And your question is?
@Barb42 (4216)
I didn't realize I had to have a question. But, if so, have you ever had a dog act that way toward a bird? Or, have you ever seen a bird try to keep a dog from finding her nest by walking up and down the tree limbs, fussing at him?
@tdemex (3545)
Actually not quite. But when I lived in Idaho they had alot of magpies there and they would tease the dogs! It was very funny magpies are very smart,they would get on the edge of the roof and fly down to the ground ,where the dogs couldn't catch them and make alot of racket, the dogs would run over and another one would fly down where they were! LOL! It was so funny but they got alot of exercise! Have fun here!!! tdemex
@ch88ss (2270)
It sure is a funny thought and I can imagine the sight too. I think the bird knew what he/she could do the dog.
@Barb42 (4216)
Oh, it was certainly funny! We just stood and laughed at him.The dog isn't that big,but he's very fiesty! And,just to watch him jumping (no tail) up at the limb was so funny. The bird would walk out and make the limb shake and then run back up the limb and he'd jump.She/he just kept teasing the dog. Then she'd go to the other side of the tree and do the same thing.I think he just got worn down and gave up and it probably got his mind off of anything else he may have been looking for,not that he even knew where the nest was.But the bird sure thought he did.