Do you self-prescribe medicine for your infants?

@chrysz (1603)
Most doctors would charge you Professional Fees just by seeing your child or simply interviewing you and prescribing medicine, even if the visit last only for a couple of minutes. In my child's case, I hated it because I would have to be in the queue for an hour or two and then he'll just prescribe medicine for my child that won't even work after a week so I would have to see him again and then pay another PF. This is not wise-spending for me so I learned to look at the internet and just consult my pharmacist friend and if it is an over-the-counter drug, i would just purchase and give it to my child. Do you think this is safe? Are you doing it too?
I have two little ones of my own and I always find it helpful to just call the doctors office, give them the symptoms and have them tell me what to give. I usually trust what they say and it's always over the counter so, yes, I would say that it's safe. I think it's good that your friend is a pharmacist. And of course, common sense would play a big role.
@chrysz (1603)
The problem with some doctors here is that they wanna see my daughter, weigh her, etc and then prescribe the med. One time, I really told the secretary that I only have 500 left in my pocket and it won't be wise if I'll have to see the pedia and be charged with 350 and left with only 150 which I am not sure if it will be enough to cover the medicine. Some doctors are really into money making and not really after serving people.
Not to play devils advocate here, but they have to have an accurate weight to prescribe the medication. All childrens medication doses are based on their weight. That is why they weigh them every single time. It is an absurd amount of money to be charged to get weighed though.
I would say for the most part it is safe. As long as you are understanding what you are giving, reading, and possible reactions and what to do should they occur then yes it should be safe. Cough and cold medicines however are proving to be very dangerous for children under 12, so caution is needed with them. As a nurse, I self medicate my children all the time. I also however know when i have met my limit and it is time to take them to the doctor. The doctor does after all serve some purposes, though I think they are more and more just out for money. I dont ever give medication that is not over the counter, or prescribed to someone else, that can be extremely dangerous. I think as health care continues to rise, and doctors continue to not really seem to want to help but just keep you coming back, you will see more and more people learning to self medicate.
@chrysz (1603)
I did the computations for the dulcolax syrup I gave for my child and it worked but for antibiotics and other medications, I let the pharmacists or pedia do it. Anyway, with the duphalac and karo syrup, he advised to lower or increase the dosage I am giving depending on my baby's reaction but since duphalac didn;t work and the fibrosine's effect did not last long (it worked for two days only and then she was constipated again after two days), I asked my pharmacist friend to advise me on some otc laxative.
@nishdan01 (3055)
I self prescribe medicine rarely for my child.Our Gp visit has insurance and so I rush to that place as it is close by.But for infants I would like to give new medicines and not the old stock. Internet can surely give a lot of information related to medicines(with names) if you are in US.
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I do it too. We are self pay and dropping $100 on an office call over something minor just doesn't set well with me. My peds office is great though and I can call them and tell them what's going on (no fee) and they will tell me something OTC. My son went in for a med check last week and the doctor does a once over because of he takes a controlled substance and noticed that he had swimmer's ear. He gave me a recipe that is made up of add home items to put in his ear to deal with this and then gave me drops to send to his dad's house for after he swims since he picked it up at dad's pool. My brother in law is a pharmacist and I call him often and I trust him probably more than doctors when it comes to OTC's since that is his job.