Rice milk

@deebomb (15322)
Has any one tried milk made from rice? I did the other day. I found that I like it. My grandson said it tasted sour to him. I think that is because he really doesn't like to try new things. I want to try to make some. Rice is a lot cheaper than cows milk and would not have the antibiotics and hormones in it that cows milk does. I have found a recipe that I think I would like to try * rinse 2 cups of rice (to clean it) * pour 4 cups of boiling water over rice and let it * soak for 1-2 hours * blend 1 cup of soaked rice with 2 1/2 cups of * water (can be cold water) Blend rice to a slurry, not a completely smooth liquid. Pour into a pot & repeat with the rest of the rice. Bring to a boil & then reduce to low heat simmer for 20 minutes. Line colander with nylon tricot or a few layers of cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture into colander with a bowl under colander. Another 1 cup of water (or less or more) can be poured over the rice. Press with the back of a large spoon twist nylon & squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Has any one especially vegetarians made their own rice milk. if you do how do you make yours?
@kareng (7980)
I've never had it and don't think I would like it. I know for sure if I had to make my own that would be way too much trouble for me. I am limited with free time as it is. I just tried soy milk and thought it was okay. I liked the chocolate flavor much better than regular.
@deebomb (15322)
I have had soy milk too. We like the vanilla flavored as well as the chocolate. I think it would be worth it to make it as the cost of milk and boughten rice milk is getting pretty high.
@kareng (7980)
That's true, but I work full time, have to take care of an aviary of over 100 birds and we are in the process of buying another house...will be remodeling current house. I'm already crazy thinking of it all!
@deebomb (15322)
Taking care of birds and remodeling a house too yes you do have your hands full. Are the birds pets or are they for sale?
@roshand8 (1481)
• Sri Lanka
oh!it is not the milk it's the starch from the rice.I've heard some Indians drinks the starch of the rice ,some soak there clothes in the starch(the liquid they get after boiling and straining the rice with a white cloth. )
@deebomb (15322)
You are right it isn't milk but it is a nice substitute for those that can't tolerate cows milk.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
Huh?! Milk from rice? I've never heard of such a thing, sounds interesting though. Thanks for including the directions how to do this, I'm going to have to try this.
@deebomb (15322)
Hi Joy. I have seen it at he health food store and at Wal-Mart too. I thought it would be interesting to try my hand at it. I have the rice soaking right now
@JoyfulOne (6242)
Hi!! Funny I've never noticed it before at either of those places before. I think when I shop I just look at whatever I'm seeking, find the lower price, and don't hunt around on the rest of the shelves. I'll definitely have to pay more attention! Hahaha....you've got me putting white rice on my shopping list. Up till now I've pretty much only bought the brown rice.
@deebomb (15322)
I am using brown rice since I saw one recipe using the brown.