Sun smarts relating to your eyes! Are you being careful?

It is summer time in my part of the world and the days are hot, bright and sunny. I see so many people laying in the sun and working in the sun without eye protection and sunglasses. Too much sun can lead to macular degeneration,cataracts and the development of yellow spots on the whites of the eyes. One can also get a melanoma in the eye. Do you wear good sunglasses when in the sun?
• Marion, Kansas
I just checked a book out at the library that says you need to wear good sunglasses year round. Now that I have said that, I will say,no, I am too lazy to always be changing my glasses to sunglasses and back again. I had even bought polarized safety glasses to wear over my glasses when I do yard work, but I misplaced them. I will either find them, or go buy some more, because they were handy.
Yes, my eye doctor told me to wear sun protection on my eyes year round. I do it too! Even when it appears that there is no sun there is certainly sun.
@whittby (3073)
You bet I do. My mom has macular degeneration and I'm doing everything I can to promote eye health - sun glasses, eye vitamins. Years ago we didn't worry about sunburn, skin cancer, sun screen. We're paying with skin damage and cancer now. I wish all my skin looked as good as what I have that hasn't seen the sun! We go through a lot of sun screen.
Good for you wittby for being proactive in prevention. I'm sorry your mother has macular degeneration. You are wise to do all that you can to preven the same in yourself.
Yes always. I find it very uncomfortable to have sunlight glaring on my eyes.
@JoyfulOne (6243)
I always wear sunglasses! Eyes are too important not to protect. I've already had cataract operations, and have implants in both eyes. My eye surgeon said I have to wear sunglasses because it's most important. I have a pair I keep in my purse that are new each year, and the ones that are last years are then used when I'm outside at home (where they're more likely to get scratched, etc.)