Charities and Causes

Heart - a sign of showing that you care
@dfollin (12080)
If I was given a million dollars and told that I had to give it to a charities or causes only. I think I would divide it up giving some to each one of these organizations.Three churches in this area,Cancer Foundation,Fibromyalgia Society and the Homeschool Legal Defense.What place or places would you give to?
@suspenseful (40326)
I would give it to my church mission fund. I would also support Children's hospitals and I would give the rest to Second Harvest. I think with the high gas and food prices that many Americans are suffering and people tend to forget them. I saw a program on the poor people in the Appalacians who were getting funds from Second Harvest and this was before the high gas prices.
@dfollin (12080)
Great choices.The high gas prices are making the food prices high.Personally,we are having a hard time.I spend the same amount of money and only get a few days worth of the food.All the food banks around here are bare.
@hellcowboy (7383)
If I was given a million dollars,and was told to give it to charities I would give some to St Jude,some to the Make A Wish Foundation,and some to any other charity I could find to give it too.
@slickcut (8141)
I would give it all to St Judes hospital for the childrens cancer center.I watch those poor babies and how brave they are and how sweet and they fight so hard...I feel so bad when i see those babies and little suffering children...This is the foundation that Danny Thomas started and it has saved many lives of children with cancer...Danny's daughter Marlo Thomas has carried on his work....They take all children with cancer regardless of finances,and it is a joy to see how poor people gets the best help for their children with cancer..They go mostly by donations,and they get the full benefit of any money donated...
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I would divide mine between the ms foundation, make a wish founation and also the cancer foundation. This sounds like a very good idea.
@Marie5656 (336)
Hmm, good question dfollin. I guess I would first give to Habitat for Humanity. Then some to my church. I would also give to the American Heart Association, AIDSRochester, which gives locally, and some divided up among some no kill Humane Societies. My local Library also. Not sure where else, but these would be the biggest money getters from me.
@dfollin (12080)
I know something about the "Habitat for Humanity" that I feel I should tell you.A friend of my mom's daughter has 2 kids,divorced(from a not so good person),a christian(was a pastor)and handicapped with some diseases."HFH" is building a complex near her and she applied.She was told that she had to have some money to put down,good credit(does not have because of her ex-husband)and must be there to help build(not with handicapps).She explained to them her situation and they replied,"No exceptions!."
@nanajanet (4437)
I had cancer, and would not give to the American Cancer Society as there are other ways that cure cancer that they do not promote. I think it's a big, money maker. They do not try to follow alternative ways and only promote the more expensive and invasive ways. Anyway, off of my soap box, I would only give to local charities where I know that I can keep track of where the money goes or to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, as they work hard to have tougher laws and educate the public as well as support people, like me, who have lost a loved one due to drunk driver. My son was killed that way and I support them.
I am glad to know that you are a survivor. I would not normally reply to a post to directly talk to someone, however, I cannot figure out how to message you on here, but I would like to speak with you about a charity community website I'm making that participates in different charity walks all over the US. It's a National Team. I feel you may have more insight on better programs than the major ones out there, and those are the organizations I would like to target. If you know how to use this site, please message me.
@lucy02 (5017)
I would give some to my church too and for missions. I would also donate to St. Jude's hospital in Memphis. There are a lot of charities out there in need so I might give to some of the others too. The cancer foundation would be a likely one for me to give cause I have lost so many family and friends to cancer.
@deemazing (395)
I would divide it up as well. I'm very big on Education and I would give it to an organization that promotes free education in some way. For example, a free tutoring program. I'm not sure if there are any out there, I'm sure that there are, but I haven't looked. I would also give it to unique charities such as the Starlight Starbright Foundation, which uses the money to fund programs for kids in hospitals so that they do not feel like they are hospitalized. I think charities of that sort should be supported, because instead of just being another cure research company that already receives tons of recognition, they make a child smile so that they can kind of "forget" that they have a disease for a little while. To me, that is worth more.
Well in my one class this past semester called "Canadian and World Issues" we had a project researching different charity organizations and there were some very noble ones. I would have to say The Childrens Make A Wish Foundation or Make A Wish (same thing .. ?), MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving), different aids foundations and things of that sort. I might give some to the church, probably the Catholic church since I am Catholic.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
all those you mentioned were great. i'd give alot to st. jude for sure.
@KrauseHome (32313)
Well, I would give a lot of it to Churches in our area that help the less fortunate, some to the Salvation Army, some to the Red Cross and then the rest to the Domestic Violence Womens Orginization in our area so they can help find homes, shelters, housing, etc. for women who might have been abused while also being able to help offer them some suggestions on protection, etc. when they first want to get back out there on their own as well.