Banana Catsup or Tomato Catsup?

@pinkista (892)
There are 2 types of ketchup/catsup... The first one is banana and the other one is tomato. So if you want to dip your fries, fried chicken or any kind of food that needs to dip in your favorite sauce. What will it be?
@kerriannc (4282)
• Jamaica
This is the first I am hearing about banana ketchup. Can you do an article on how you make it. I would certainly like to try it. I love the porridge but never ever eaten it in this form. Please to enlightened us about it. Thanking you in advanced. Kerry
@lilybug (21182)
I found this recipe online. It sounds pretty good actually. Ingredients * 2 ounces sultanas * 3 ounces onions, coarsely chopped * 2-3 cloves garlic (big, fat ones) * 3 fluid ounces tomato paste * 1 1/3 cups cider vinegar or malt vinegar * 4 bananas, very large and extremely ripe and cut into chunks * 3-4 cups water * 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt * 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper * 2 fluid ounces golden syrup or light corn syrup * 2 teaspoons ground allspice * 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon * 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper * 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves * 2 tablespoons dark rum #1 Combine the raisins, onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1/3 cup vinegar in the container of a food processor; process the mixture until smooth, and then transfer the mixture to a large, heavy saucepan. #2 Add the banana chunks and another 1/3 cup vinegar to the food processor container; process the mixture until smooth and then transfer the banana mixture to the saucepan. #3 Add the remaining 2/3 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. #4 Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. #5 Reduce the heat to low and cook the ketchup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1ΒΌ hours. #6 If the ketchup threatens to stick to the bottom of the pan at any point, add some of the remaining water, up to 1 cup. #7 Add the corn syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves to the ketchup. #8 Cook the ketchup over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes longer, or until it is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
@pinkista (892)
Wow, you really type this recipe for kerriannc huh? thanks for sharing ... @kerriannc: well, I can say that you can find here in the Philippines, a banana ketchup product..The kids really like it especially when dipping fried chicken, fries, etc. But I like tomato catsup more.
@ersmommy1 (12605)
Until I found this discussion, I had never heard of Banana catsup. I use the tomato variety once in a while. But I am more of a mustard girl.
@pinkista (892)
I think you can only see this kind of product here in the Philippines. We have this kind of product "Papa Banana Ketchup" good for dipping and sauces.
@lilybug (21182)
I have never heard of banana ketchup before. I use tomato ketchup on my fries sometimes, but that is about it.
@kerriannc (4282)
• Jamaica
Thank you so much for the recipe Lilybug. I am going to copy it and put it in my word so that I can be able to use it when I have some money. I know that my boyfriend will enjoy doing it. He is the one who is the chef.
@djoana09 (106)
banana catsup! as always. i dont lke the tomato one. because of its sour taste