Cuckes Coming In Finally

Cucumbers - The first of many to finally take shape.
@webeishere (36353)
Well with the nasty weather we had here in May with snow and freezinf temps my cucumbers are finally startung to shape out. I have 8 plants total. 4 Bush and 4 pickleing cucumbers. There are going to be plenty I hope. I have to say though, I still prefer the staright 8 cukes as opposed to the bush variety. The plants seem so small and taking so long. but then the weather has affected them as well possibly stunting their growth. What variety of cukes do you enjoy growing? What about eating them? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@minnie_98214 (10573)
Mine are growing good well one of them. The other three i replanted due to no growth but they are growing okay now.
@webeishere (36353)
Mine are stunted as well due to the nasty weather we had yo till just recently. but now everything is starting to change for the better. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM DADDY!!~
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
Oh I love cucumbers anyway you slice them. When I was growing up Grandma used to slice them and she'd put a few drops of vinegar, salt and vegetable oil on them stir them up good and oh were they good!!!
@webeishere (36353)
Slice a bunch up, add them to some sour cream with a touch of sugar. YUMMMMM! HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@tyc415 (5706)
I don't grow cucumbers or much of anything as far as that goes since I don't have a green thumb. I love cucumbers in salads or peeled and eat with salt. As far as pickles go I love bread and butter pickles or a good dill pickle. At times I want a small sweet pickle with my sandwich.
@webeishere (36353)
I will be makimng sliced and whole dill pickles this year once again with my pickiling cukes I am growing. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@kaleegirl45 (1474)
Hi Grandpa Bob, you seem to be saving a lot of money with all your veggie that you're growing. cucumbers I love them. with lemon, salt and pepper and red onions. How is it that you grow pickled cucumbers?
@webeishere (36353)
I've been gardening since we bought this house 5 years ago. never did it beforwe but love fresh homegrown foods so it was a natural thing for us to do. I do have a large yard and if this hobby keeps up I'll have hardly any grass left in back. hahaha! And I'll have a stand with a huge umbrella out front selling veggies and fruits. Nahhh I want most for me and my family. They are called picklers. they only grow to about 3 inches long and are grown specifically for pickling them. We made a few jars of pickles from regular cukes last year. they were great but now we do it with the correct cukes. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@cjgrooms (4456)
I don't eat cucumbers but all four of my children loves them. When i was younger i would eat them with just salt.
@webeishere (36353)
Why don't you eat them then? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@cjgrooms (4456)
They give me the most awful stomach ache. I did love it when i was younger though.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi GRANDPA BOB! I never knew what variety of cucumber I usually am eating. And I never tried growing them, I usually buy them in the market. The only plants and veggies I have at the moment in my garden are eggplants, okra, lemon, chili peppers, sweet potato and purple yam. Take care and God Bless!
@dragon54u (31636)
I have never like cucumbers, even the smell makes me queasy. I wish I did, they're so good for us! I'm glad you have some and hope they taste good!
I have two cucumber plants and they are the burpless kind. They are not growing very fast. I did fertilize them the other day and that seems to have helped out. I use the fishemusion fertilizers. My cat Abagail loves that stuff. She comes running when I have to mix it up. She loves to lick the side of the jug. Silly girl so far the fertilizer has not hurt her. Do you use fertilizer?
@TessWhite (3147)
Boy I miss gardening. When we lived in the midwest we always had a garden. Since moving to south Texas its become a thing of the past. Our "yard" is sand and weeds. About all we can grow is weeds, palm trees and hibiscus. LOL I've tried container gardens here for three years, and all I've accomplished is high water bills and a banquet for the squirrels. I've given up on it down here. And I just LOVE home grown veggies. My favorite of course is tomatos.
@bfarrier1 (2082)
GRANDPA BOB that is one thing out of the garden I dont like I cant say why, I guess I really dont know but I never have liked them. My husband does and his is growing like crazy. You have a wonderful 4th of July.
@checapricorn (16066)
Wow, looks that you will be harvesting a lot when they will all be ready..LOL! I got 1 cucumber from our garden yesterday and since hubby is not really a fan of it, I eat it all, I love to prepare vinegar, with salt as my dip...I used this way im my Country!