nowhere to take my recyclables - what does your town do?

I am so frustrated, recently our city has been banned to take things to our recycling and disposal place, which is actually located in our little town. People outside of our city can because they are paying for the facility with their taxes. So now, I have to just throw everything in our trashcan - newspapers, plastic, and the tons of cardboard. Does this make sense to anyone? We are just adding more to our landfills and it will promote people dumping items because they have nowhere to take them. They are talking about setting up some sort of fees for us to take things to this place, but that won't be figured out until the end of the year. I can see having a fee to dispose of yardwaste, etc but for us to recycle? What does your area do to recycle.
@tessah (6621)
i dont understand how outside peoples taxes pay for the facility in your town.. their taxes would go to their own community.. not to yers. id look around for an outside facility where you could take them.. i think itd drive me bats to put all of the things that are recycleable into the trash. my town sort of penalizes those who dont recycle.. they charge a fee for every bag put out to the curb (2.99 PER) so those that dont recycle, pay out of the nose for not doing so. i fill up an entire giant trashcan full of plastics glass and metals every week.. and a truck comes by once a week same as the trash pickup and haul it off for freebie.
I read what they wrote in the papers over and over and it still doesn't make sense to me and we even tried to go there and brought proof of residency (which they now require) and got turned away. I guess even though it's in our little town, the city owns it and operates it along with several others sites that we can't go to either. We have nowhere to go. At least 1/2 of our trash is recycled and now our can will be overstuffed and wasted. I think your town has it right, people who don't recycle should pay not ones who do. Maybe I should start making some sort of sculpture in our front yard made of all the things we normally would recycle.
@tessah (6621)
that wouldnt be a bad idea at all.. maybe neighbors would pay heed and follow yer example as well
Try the nearest school. If nobody has taken on this task as a public service, surely whoever runs the Ecology Club will be glad to, as will the kids!
The paper is full of people complaining so I am sure it will become an issue. I will have to see if there is some sort of organization here to help, thanks for the idea. I try to teach my kids to recycle and dispose of things properly and now here I am telling them to throw those items in the trash.