Attending the Freedom Swim in Florida--have you ever been kayaking?

Every year on the 4th of July, the community where I live holds "The Freedom Swim" to celebrate our country's birthday. It involves crossing the Peace River, which flows into the gulf of Mexico, by the way. The place where the swim is held is 1 1/2 miles wide. What's fun about this swim is that you can float in a boat, use water toys like noodles to keep you afloat, paddle a kayak, or swim to get across the water. Everyone is having such a good time as they are floating across. They even have coolers tied to big rafts for their beverages, floating alongside them! It's quite festive and there are people of all ages, even in their 80s that take part. There are many boats and water craft drifting quite slowly amongst the "swimmers" in the even anyone gets tired and wants to stop. This is the first year my husband and I have ever gone to see the "swimmers." Now, we want to take part next year! It looked like they were all having a blast! We are going to start shopping around for kayaks and hope to get out on the water a little bit in the next month or so. Have any of you ever been kayaking before? Enlighten me, please.
@writersedge (22579)
Why did I think you were from England? My brain lately! That sounds like lots of fun. I would be canoeing! If it was shorter, I would be swimming, but 1 1/2 miles is a lot for me at this point in time. I'm 50 years old and it hasn't been a year yet since my accident, so I'm still recooperating. Isn't it wonderful to go watch something and then want to do it? My husband and I are always watching re-inactors and crafters, there usually is something we want to do by the time we get done watching. I've never been kayaking. I've been canoeing, rowboating, and sailing. The last one, I was a guest and don't know how to do it. This is an interesting topic, I will read to see more about Kayaks. Thanks and take care.
Hey there, writersedge. If it makes you feel any better about the England thing, I think my ancestors were from there. Anyhoo, The Freedom Swim, just watching it, was an absolute blast! My husband and I have vowed to take part in it somehow next year. I wanted to swim across it but we don't have a boat for him to follow me. Plus, he admits he's worried a gator would get me, if I swam in that river!! No kidding. So, he suggested we both do kayaks next year. And, hey, I am definitely up for it. We've decided to try to rent some and try them out one of these days over the next couple of months, just to see what we think. Right now, we know zilch about kayaking. I, too, plan to do some research on kayaking, just for the fun of it. Take care, writersedge. Thanks for your response.
@writersedge (22579)
Thanks for best response. I hope all this excitement carries through to next year. Thanks and take care.