Trouble with my disability allowance

@winterose (39918)
Okay so I just started a discussion on why does it have to be so hard to get disability, but think about it, if you are disabled you are too sick to go through the hoops the government expects you to do. Only one cookie here knew how depressed I was last week,I was even too depressed to post a discussion here, but I am doing it now, so if someone doesn't want to here it cause they think it is a whine, fine by me, go onto to another discussion no hard feelings. I have diabetes, thyroid problems and fibromyalgia, I often can't sleep for the pain, in the winter I cannot even leave my house because I cannot walk. So that does not make me a good candidate to work. They don't consider any of those things under our disability laws, so I cannot get permanent disability, my doctor said the best he could do for me was to ask for 6 months, and they should approve that, after the six months to come back and ask for another six months. I did that, he asked for six months, the government granted it, but because it is only considered temporary I only get a measly hundred dollars etc a month and that is still not enough to live on, but it is better than nothing. I went back in April to my doctor to get it renewed, he asked for another six months and I gave it to the welfare, I didn't expect to have to renew until October, but low and behold I get a letter from them saying my benefits will be reduced, as of August 1, because they consider me fit to work, if not go and get another form signed. The trouble is there was a holiday (Canada Day)and it was hard to get to the doctor. I was so upset, it was only three months since the last form, I went to the doctor, and forgot to go get the form first, the doctor looks at me and says what can I do without the form? I left the office almost in tears. I cannot afford to lose that little bit of money even for one month I rely on it to pay my house bills. I was so depressed, that and being eaten alive with flea bites, I just couldn't take it anymore. I did walk all the way to the office to get the form, last Thursday, Then I took it to the doctor yesterday, and it was so hot and humid. I walked from the doctor's office to the disability office and nearly passed out from the heat, not to mention the fact that I had to stop several times there and back and side on somebody's doorstep to catch my breath. My heart was pounding out of my chest, my back hurt like crazy and I thought I was going to have a heart attack or heat stroke. I did give them a letter explaining how I have trouble walking that is part of my disability, and I have no money for buses or taxi. I just do not understand why they expect disabled people to jump through hoops. My son says it is because they want to discourage us into not asking for disability and they will save money. What is your opinion on this? Do you think my letter will make any difference in the way they treat me from now on, or they will just ignore it?
@KrisNY (7591)
I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal with the Government and disability- So I’m guessing you are from Canada- Let me tell you- it isn’t any easier here in the states for people. I’m not on disability- but I have met a couple people online who are fighting the system. I do agree- I think that they think people will just give up- Why make it so hard. I hope your letter does help- but I doubt it- It seems these people that work for the government in these agencies have no heart!
@winterose (39918)
yes the letter worked, I got my disability reinstated for august, but I will lose it after october, I will have to try for permanent disability and take my chances.
@irishidid (8714)
We were waiting hours for my daughter's disability appeals hearing to be called. There was only one other person waiting that day. I think they hope you'll give up and leave.
@winterose (39918)
yes I agree they do everything to discourage you.
*hugs* i know what you are going through.. i have a list long full of health probs and been fighting since jan 2006 to get disability but here in TN they dont want to give it to anyone so almost everyone is denied three times then has to go to court.. well i got something last summer saying i am going to court and that it could take up to 3 years to get a court date then 3 years after that to find out if i am given it.. its ridulous and if i didnt have my hubby i would be homeless.. i have insurance through my hubbys work but the copays are awful and my docs have pretty much tried everything.. but my age is screwing me over!! they figure that people will only try for so long then forget about it or decide against it and maybe they were faking in the begining so that the peoplep will get irritated and find a job?? i dunno but im sick of it!! i loved working which is the killer!! then i know some people totally faking it or have just one thing wrong with them that i do too but they are getting it and never had a job in their lives.. i dont know who decided how to do all of this but they are crazy and cruel!! and you can always talk to me about it because i know how it is and i have had people tell me im whining when im not..
@winterose (39918)
I know a person who has been through the ropes for tenncare, I will email you her email address perhaps she can help you.
@ElicBxn (60895)
My roommate has been blind since birth, a friend's son is spinal bifida and hydrosyfalic (sp?) and both of them have been denied in the past. The roomie is SO glad she's now got a job that allowed her to get off SSDI!
@winterose (39918)
I know it is just so darn hard.
@Lakota12 (42684)
really dont know I sure hope so! hugs Guess I would just keep having Doctor send in the forms and seems to me that he could help out more . My hubby had to get a lawyer and took 2 years to getr his disability started by going to thier Doctors and going before a judge with his lawyer and Doctor.
@winterose (39918)
I guess I could see a lawyer, the doctors can only fill out forms they cannot change the laws, that is the problem the law does not recognize fibromyalgia.
@Lakota12 (42684)
that law needs to be changed for it is a work related illness. I got it from using drills and sanders att he work I di alot of repettive movements just like that tunnel thing for wrists or tennis elbow firbro is right up there with that!
@pyewacket (44036)
Holy crap! You only get $100 a month from disability? How does any sane agency in this case disability expect you to live on that? Getting disability isn't much better here, but once you do get it it's fairly reasonable and a heck of a lot more than a mere 100 bucks. The very first time I tried to get disability which was in 1983, I was turned down and got discouraged about trying for it again....It wasn't until 1995 that I started the stupid process all over again....don't ask all the forms to fill out...the phone calls. Since I too couldn't travel to the office and it was don't ask how many subway or bus stops away and couldn't walk it my case was often done by phone. I had to had numerous doctors come to my apt to evaluate me....this went on for more than a year before I was finally allowed to get my SSI and technically speaking it's not really disability....since I didn't have enough work "points" I didn't qualify for SSI-D in which I could have gotten even more. My case was re-reviewed after about three years and had to go through the whole darn process all over again....ever since then I've been left alone...except of course last year when I had that lovely disaster of getting a letter out of the blue stating my benefits were to be completely cut off period and gee, at the time had $5.71 to my name. Don't ask the forms I had to fill out...luckily I was able to download the forms from the Social Security website..if I had waited for them to mail me the forms with the track record they have I might be still waiting for them..LOL. Your son is right about trying to discourage anyone from disability...they think most people will just plain give up (Like I did that first time round)---the only thing that got my benefits back to me in record time (a month) was I had the inspiration of getting intervention through a Congressman's representative who dealt with disability issues...is there any local politician you could contact and tell him/her the severity of you disabilities and make a case to maybe even increase your benefits?? Just a thought there
@winterose (39918)
yes as orea said, I get a regular check like anyone not working, but I get a little over a hundred extra for disability, if it was permanent disability it would be 300 more a month, even with 300 more a month it still wouldn't come close to 1,000 a month to live on, I am living well below the poverty line, and I am just fed up. I wish to God I could work, then I could feel human again.
@pyewacket (44036)
Then I should in a sense count my blessings...I'm not exactly whooping it up here myself but I get $724 benefits plus food stamps...but kind of squeaking by with that...that is why I'm STILL waiting to hear about that IRS check ....so I can get a new bed and mattress ....my bed frame is 47 years old and mattress is 25 years old so I'm really nice and comfortable...NOT
Anyone who is going to complain to you abou whining needs to stop and consider how lucky hey really are. I they were in your position they would e sympatizing with you rather than complaining. I think it's stupid to take someone who is obiously disabled, and try and get them to do things they really aren't capable of doing. It's nuts!!! I hope you get something figured out soon.
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon, now I am definitely losing temp disability and won't have that money keeping in after October, they said to try for permanent disability but that will be a long shot, I just have to wait it out and see.
@gemini_rose (16193)
I am so sorry to hear that you are being treated like this and it is so wrong what they are doing to you. If your doctor is signing you and saying that you cannot work then that word should be taken. Sounds to me like the laws need to be looked at again. I am not sure what difference your letter will make, hopefully it will make all the difference and you will get treated like a human being instead of someone they look down their noses at, its disgraceful.
@winterose (39918)
apparently my letter made a different, I am getting the disability back for august, and they had nerve to admit that the clerk had made a mistake and put three months in the computer and not six like she was supposed to and that is why I had to renew it so fast.
@cblackink (969)
This is why there are lawyers who specialize in disability claims. You probably need to seek legal help with this. The majority of people who file for disability will either never get it or will have to try numerous times. It's obvious you have some real problems, not fake, and a legal professional can help you.
@winterose (39918)
a lawyer can only get you disability if you qualify under the present legal definition, I do not canada does not recognize fibromyalgia, so there isn't much that can be done.
@lingli_78 (12844)
i'm so sorry to hear about what you are experiencing... i know how you feel and how hard it is to live on disability allowance... i really wish that the government can do more for people like you who can't work and earn money... you still deserve to live in a proper way and the government had to see to that needs... good luck... take care and have a nice day...
@winterose (39918)
they think that I can work, that is what they say but I cannot even move in the wintertime at all, I cannot work.
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I believe that governments everywhere just don't consider people when they put systems in place to help citizens. Its quite similar in Trinidad to get anything from government you have to do the forms business down to the last tee and then get all the approvals and everything takes at least ten years if not a century. What I don't understand is how a country like Canada can pay people only 100 dollars as a disability pension. People in Trinidad complain about the amount of money they get but its not as bad as that. There's no charity in government, thats clear, just political policies, nothing more.
@winterose (39918)
the 100 dollars is extra, over the welfare check, but either way it is still not enough to live on.
winterrose, I know just what uyou are going through as it took a lot of paperwork and time to get my husband on diability too but what seemed to turn things around was his first heart attack, right after that we did get the notice he had been accepted for permanent disability
@winterose (39918)
gosh I don't want to have a heart attack to get disability though, that is just not right.
Hello Winterose, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles just to get disabilty allowance,you should have to walk all the way to welfare office just to get a form for the doctor. It must be so hard to get any thing in your country. In the U.K. its not so hard, I am on disablity allowance, when I was working i was in pain because of my back and I'm blind in my right eye and deaf in my right ear and I kept working for years, then One day my employer had to let me go, they said my work was suffering so my doctor give a certificate for the welfare. I took it round there and first six months I got the lowe level of money ater that I'm on ful allowance our welfare is very good and they access you conditions every year, but they are good. But you don't have to keep going there all the time, my doctor do all the work for you. Good luck. Tamarafireheart.
@winterose (39918)
that is great for you hon, it is not so easy over here to get disability, they don't want to pay you.
@checapricorn (16066)
I'm sorry to hear about this winterose..Let's hope really that it will make a difference and if they keep on bothering them about it. They should not tell you not you are capable to work since they don't know what you suffer and feel in your body! Maybe that is really their purpose, to put a lot of stress about it and to discourage people from claiming the disability allowance!
@winterose (39918)
they government has their own doctors too, and that is what the their doctor said, so it is theirs against mine.
@TessWhite (3147)
I am so so sorry you are dealing with this issue. I know just how you feel because I went thru it. I have the same health issues you do, and even developed more after I was approved on SSDI. Yep, I was approved, but it was a long hard battle that lasted three years. I belong to a public forum online for SSD cases to help answer questions and give advice. No, I'm not a professional, I've just "been there." A few tips I used here might help you with your battle, and it is indeed a battle. 1. Print out everything you can find online about your illnesses and hi-lite all the areas/symptoms that pertain to you directly. Copies of this will need to be sent to SSD. 2. Keep a journal, daily is best, but even several days is good. Document everything on how you are feeling, pain, moods, limitations, depression, whatever is necessary to make your point. Copies of these will need to be sent to SSD. I even back dated a journal, because really we know what we've gone thru over the last year or so, and every day the pain and issues are about the same. 3. Get letters from employers, family, friends explaining how your disability has affected your life and the limitations it has caused. Copies need to go to SSD. 4. If necessary contact your local Senator. They just LOVE the opportunity to impress people by helping. Mine helped me get my disability approved in 30 days after contacting him - with the other stuff mentioned above. 5. Make sure you are applying for permanent disability, not a temporary thing. If I can answer any further questions please don't hesitate to message me. I know the struggles you are going thru, and I hope you can get this resolved quickly so you can relax and get the help you need.
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon, I will keep note of this, I will talk to my mna (member of the national assembly - Quebec) and see if he can do anything about it.
@raydene (9875)
Honey I have disability and had no trouble getting it. I was told by the judge that approved the case that he quickly approved it because of the mental aspect of my illness. As fibro suffers know we get depressed due to constant pain and I was on 3 different anti depressants at that time. My MD had Rx'ed them for sleep therapy and the last one for the depression. You might want to ask your doctor for them because 1. you sound a bit depressed 2. you will sleep better which will help with pain 3. being better rested will help you cope with daily stuff 4. Mental illness suffers are granted disability insurance! Sweets we all have some form of mental illness at sometimes in our lives. Some take a pill or two, some don't but taking a pill may help you in many ways. I DO know what you are going through... If you want me to call you Doll just email me your # with a good time to call and I will. I am here my friend raydenee@yahoo.com
@winterose (39918)
hey hon, I did tell him how anxious and stressed I am and how I yell at people now because I am so stressed out and he won't budge,
@cher913 (25890)
that is very true and i have a friend who is on it(cpp - disability here in canada) and says you practically have to be dying to get it. i am trying to get it but know i probably wont, but i am looking into getting provincial (ontario) funding in that way, but it takes 6 months to get! i would go and see several doctors and get their opinions (i dont know if it will help, but it cant hurt!)
@winterose (39918)
yes that is what I had to do too, and still I was only granted temporary disability because the government quebec, does not accept fibromyalgia as a disability.
@ellie333 (21029)
Oh Big Hugs Winterose, I feel for you I really do. The system everywhere is just so frustrating and the genuine people who need are missing out because of all the effort it takes sometimes to get the allowance. People with mobility problems should be given home visits by one person to help fill in all the forms and then taken by this person to the doctor and get everything signed all at once or even for the doctor to home visit too. I get very angry when I see people get handed these allowances on a plate with no effort when they don't really need the help and others (like yourself) struggling just to get enough assistance to be able to exsist rather than live. Grrrr. I really hope you get some help soon. Send a letter, then another, then another and sooner or later someone will take notice. Good luck. Ellie :D
@winterose (39918)
they will just file it in the garbage.
@alindahaw (1219)
I am so sorry to hear about your predicament. I really think you deserve your disability allowance. Sometimes, those people in the government cannot see the needs of their clients and it is very upsetting to say the least. I know the government is trying to discourage people to take the easy way out but the sad thing is that they sometimes could not tell which ones really need assistance which ones are just simply faking it.
@winterose (39918)
they just go by the rules, and they don't care about people at all.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I hope and pray it will make a difference. You can't work in your condition. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope evrything turns out well.
@winterose (39918)
thank you Shaun