Illegal restaurant grease?

In New York bandits are illegally siphoning restaurant grease from bins and barrels and selling it for conversion to biodiesel. My question is why is it illegal to take something that is going to the trash anyway? I say these guys are being creative. Why don't the restaurants sell their grease rather than putting it in the trash? Shouldn't that be more of a concern? And then again maybe the restaurants have sold that grease and these bins and barrels are set out for someone to pick up. In which case the bandits WOULD be stealing it. I really don't know. I would think that there would be some kind of rules and regulations that requires them to get rid of the grease in a proper way. Any thoughts on this?
If it is not in a dumpster, it is still their property; it is not technically trash. Even if it is in a dumpster, it may still be illegal to remove it if the dumpster is located on private property. At least, that is my understanding of how that works.
The restaurants absolutely should be selling the grease to bio diesel places. It hink lawmakers should make this a requirement for restaurants to do this. They should not be throwing grease in the trash if it can be used responsibly.
Here in Florida, that has been going on for months. They say it is a crime, because it is not their property to take. Thats right your garbage is considered yours until it is in the garbage truck. I know this because, we have thrown things out, when we were moving, and people would knock on our door and ask permission to go through the stuff on the pile. I thought it strange at first, but a cop told me, that is against the law. I guess I might change my mind and bring something back in after leaving it out there. Plus these restaraunts, that for a long time had a terrible time getting rid of their barrels of grease, are now making pretty good money selling it to biodiesal companies.
@ZephyrSun (7385)
Well it's a crime because the restaurants are actually selling it. From what I have heard they are able to make a good amount of money from this used oil/grease.