Crying a Lot

Good morning mylotters! I have a question for you. I have been crying a lot. It happens when I least expect it. I get overwhelmed easily. A scene in a movie will remind of a memory, or a person walking by me at the store will remind me of someone else, too. HOw do you deal with it? Do you just let the tears come draining out of you or do you stifle them and stay mad? I don't have control over it.
Tears are a release of pent up emotions. Sometimes it's good to cry. For some reason I seem to let it all build up and then, when I just can't take it no more, I cry and cry and cry...Then I feel better, like it released all the stress. Lately I have found that when I start feeling down, I can go dancing and it helps work off the pent up anxiety.
Get your boogie shoes out of the closet then, Girl Life is too short so don't let it pass you by. GO FOR IT! For every frown there is a smile, just tilt your lips the other way! I walk and maybe even talk to myself out-loud... if you do this put on headphones even if you aren't listening to music... that way others will think you are singing and NOT talking to yourself. SMILE Any type of exercise helps you to relieve stress.
You gave me a smile today!!!
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Has something happened in your life in the last few months that was traumatic to your life? Right now, I would say let it go and let all the emotions that you have come pouring out. However, if this has been happening for a while, then you might want to go see a specialist. I lost my dad in November and about two months after his furneral my crying/anger fits started. It took me a few weeks to get enough nerve to go see a doctor. He gave me something to make me feel better, but advised me to see a therapist. I was having trouble sleeping and doing anything without crying. Washing clothes and making breakfast made me cry. If you need advise, let me know.
Thank you fafinette79.
No problem! I wish when I was going through hard times and felt this way, I had someone to give me advice. I like mylot.com for the fun of it but I also like helping members out. Hope it all works out for you.
@spalladino (17925)
It sounds to me like you're having a problem with serious depression at this time and you really should talk to a professinal about what is going on inside of you. Being sad most of the time is not normal and there are many forms of help available which will make you fee better. You owe it to yourslef to get some help.
Good Morning spalladino! I was having a more serious problem with depression when I couldn't express it. Now I can, thanks to my friends who have been there for me all along. The crying in this view is a form of therapy, for my body is draining and releasing it. Make sense? I have been to traditional therapy, and a person talking at me doesn't work-for the most part, unless he knows me and knows how to handle me. I am aware of what is going on inside me, and I don't need a supposed professional to tell me what I already know. Sorry, I am not discounting psychology, but there are more options too. Sometimes it seems the depression deals with me, instead of me dealing with it. Please tell me what is normal in your opinion then? Sorry, I don't mean to come off defensive. Maybe I shouldn't have posted on Mylot about it, because I don't like feling labeled or categorized. At least I can deal with it now, whereas others push down those felings, yes? My help consists of my friends. Psychology won't work if you don't believe in it, but if you believe in your friends, that is a much more effective form of therapy. Sometimes I think professions like psychology are a quack, because if you are having emotional issues, which can be normal for the body and healhty to express at times, psychology manipulates a person into believing they are all screwed up, when in fact they are normal. So no, I don't believe in psychology very much. It is manipulative to convince a person already upset that there is something much more wrong with them by puting ideas into thier head.
@spalladino (17925)
I'm glad that you have a support system of caring friends who are able to help you when you're feeling down and, I agree with you, that the people who know you the best can help you the best. And, you're also right about letting it out when you're feeling sad. I hold things in...way too much...and one day I will explode which is never a good idea.
@Kierstal (143)
I think that being able to cry when you need to is a good and healthy thing. Bottling it up generally only makes you feel worse, and most people who bottle eventually explode. But, crying all the time at the slightest trigger isn't necessarily healthy either. My suggestion to you would be, try to set aside a particular time of day to think about the things that set you off, and just cry it all out then, in the comfort of your home. That way, when you encounter things that would otherwise make you cry, you have already gotten it out of your system for the day and are less likely to be overwhelmed by it. Personally, while I don't bottle, I consider myself to be in pretty good control of my feelings. I still get choked up when I think about my grandmother (she passed away towards the end of February this year and was a mother to me for pretty much all my life), and if I let myself, I can still cry about how much I miss her. But, I don't *need* to cry anymore. Sometimes, if I'm just really stressed in general and things have been going badly, I'll just sit in my room and let it all come whooshing out - not just a couple whimpers and some tears, but a really good, thorough cry; and then I feel better for a week or two. So maybe instead of lots of little cries, you might try having a nice long one every few days. The release is wonderful and it really helps make you feel better about things once you've gotten it all out.
Thank you Kierstal!!
@Katlady2 (9920)
Say if I am in a store or some other public place, usually I will head out to my car or a private spot and then let the tears flow. If I can make it home, I will do my crying there. Sometimes we just can't help it when the emotions hit hard. I always have said that it's better and healthier to let it out than to hold it all in. If we hold it all in, we would definitely not be pleasant to be around and would more than likely go totally mad. So you let those tears out sweetie. Don't worry about what others will think.
I am embarrassed to admit this, but on my longer than usual walk today, I ended up crying at the turn around point. Farmhouses were in earshot, so I let loose. There was a bird sitting on a telephone wire that started singing louder when I started crying louder. Cars drove by, and I would put my head down for being embarrassed.
@besthope44 (12145)
Well crying is best way to come out of depression and its never shameful. Tears are best doctors for releaving the pressure on mind and heart.