Paddling in School

I taught school for 30 years and when I started in 1976, we were allowed to paddle students, with a witness. It was very effective for students who were late to class and for minor rules that were broken and there were few students who were sent to the office for discipline. My policy was they took the swat OR went to the office, and they usually took it. I wasn't easy on them and did have students remember it later when I saw them. But my point is that it worked and I had few discipline problems in my classroom, even though I taught in the inner city and I taught in a junior high. There was a point when the laws were inacted that took that form of discipline away from the teachers. Discipline problems were worse in the classroom and more were sent to the dean's office. I have several questions. Was anyone paddled when they were in school? (you would have to be old enough to be in school before the laws were enacted) Would you allow your children to be paddled today, if it wasn't against the law? Since many parents don't feel that spanking is a proper form of punishment is this why you think that paddling is or isn't proper? What do you think?
@redkathy (3375)
I was never paddled although it was a practice at my school however it was carried out by the assistant principals. I would not agree to a teacher paddling my kids however I would agree to the principal or vp doing so. I think the higher position person would have more responsibility for and experience with kids. Today, many teachers are young and inexperienced with kids outside of the classroom.
Thank you for your response. At least you aren't totally against it as so many are.
There's just something about the idea of paddling that absolutely creeps me out, and not in hat "good, she's just scared enough to obey" sort of way. I mean, to me it seems like such a violation, and my mother always taught me that two wrongs don't make a right. I think the consequence of a person's action should fit the crime, not be somehing totally different, like being physically paddled.
I am NOT surprised at your response and wouldn't expect anything different from you. With the way things are so different today, I can see your thinking. I was raised with the paddle, but never saw much of it!! I was a quick learner.
@starr4all (2865)
We had it in our schools but I never had been paddled. I was a good kid. If it wasn't against the law, yes I would allow a school official to paddle my son if warrented. I think that is the problem today. No discipline. Time out and things like that do work occasionally, but most often doesn't. I think there is a HUGE lack of discipline in our society today and that's why our youth today are the way they are. It's sad.
Thank you for your response. Your son would be the one who wouldn't need it, I am sure. I agree with you about the lack of discipline and am glad that I am NOT raising children today, but helping raising my grandchildren is bad enough!
idowrite would you like to be struck hard on your butt, well that answers myquestion. no spanking does nothing but make more parentswho have to hit their kinds.I do not believe hitting someon is going to make them better kids, time out,standingthe corner, losing privleges these work much more humanely. I would never let a school teacher paddle my kids when they were little and I was never spanked either,but was hit on my fingers with a metal edged ruler because my fifth graade teacher did not like the way I made my ms. she drew blood and she got it from my dad, she never hit us again after that.
I wouldn't like to be struck hard on my butt, but I wouldn't do things to get struck! Just staying after school for mild things was too much punishment for me and that only happened a couple of times the entire time I was in school. I knew better. I don't believe that any parent HAS to hit their kids. I think that spanking can be an effective form of discipline if it is used right. I was spanked and also had to sit on a chair for time out and was grounded. But those spankings were very few since they left a great impression on me. I do think the ruler on the hands is entirely wrong and my ex had a nun who did that to him and the same thing happened with his dad making an appearance at the school. He got hit with the ruler for using his left hand instead of his right!! I am left handed, so I am lucky it wasn't me! Thank you for your response!