Birthmarks : Don't Ignore..

@roshand8 (1481)
Sri Lanka
Birthmarks are darkened patches of skin that appear at birth or shortly after.While most birth marks are harm less,some may be associated with serious complications. Don't ignore changes in size or appearance of your birth mark. Cafe-au-lait spots are a light tan colour.More than three of these on the body could indicate a genetic condition called neurofiromatosi,which causes skin tumors Strawberry hemangiomas are common,reddish in colour and are rarely related to health problems. Cavernous hemangiomas are puffy,bluish in colour and occur beneath the skin.Because they can indicate vascular problems,consult your physician. Macular Stains are very light,pink or tan-coloured birthmarks that are very common and harmless. Moles are small dark brown or black spots that are very common.While these patches of pigmented skin cells rarely cause problems,they should be watched for changes in size or shape. Port-wine stains are pink,red or purple coloured patches of skin that are permanent.While they poise little health risk,they are often treated to minimize their appearance. What about your birthmarks ??
@paid2write (5202)
When I was a child my mother told me I had a big brown birthmark on my back. I couldn't see it myself, except by looking in a mirror. As I grew, this birthmark got bigger, and not just in proportion to my body size. I wasn't worried about it but when I was 12 years old my mother asked the doctor to take a look at it, and I was sent to hospital to have it removed. I remember being told it was a melanoma and that it could be malignant. Today the words 'skin cancer' may have been used, but I was told the only way to find out if it was malignant or benign was to have the operation. The birthmark was so big I was told it would take two operations to remove such a big area of skin. As it turned out they managed to remove it in one go and to stretch my skin across. It needed nine stitches to close the gap. Luckily it was benign and I have had no further cause for concern. I still have a long scar on my back where the birthmark used to be.
@roshand8 (1481)
• Sri Lanka
I am glad that you are fine nowthank you for sharing cheers...
@bmorehouse1 (1029)
I do have a birth mark. Its brown in color and is located on the back of my leg. Most of the time I forget its there, but when I was growing up there would be times that somebody would say "You have something on the back of your leg". Then I would have to explain that it was a birth mark. One of my sons has a very predominant birth mark on one of his arms. It is also brown and take up a good portion of the upper part of his arm. I really don't know what causes birth marks, but when my son was born with one I always wished there was a way to get rid of it. It doesn't seem to bother him though. Thanks for the info.
@roshand8 (1481)
• Sri Lanka
No worries..birthmarks can be any size and any colour even white,purple,blue,red or pink etc..Please consult a skin specialist if you have doubts.Thank you for sharing...cheers..
@cjgrooms (4456)
My doctor checks size and color of the mole on my back at every phisical.
@roshand8 (1481)
• Sri Lanka
That's good thank you for sharing.Have a nice day. Cheers..
@salonga (27955)
Well my birthmarks are safe, I have them since I was young and they never change their size and color. I only have around 4 birthmarks and the only one most prominent is the one near the bridge of my nose. I wished I could get rid of this but my husband say it does not in anyway affect my appearance so I just let it stay.
@roshand8 (1481)
• Sri Lanka
Oh dear leave it..it's harmless one of my cousin removed a birth mark on her face and had a scarthank you for sharing..Cheers..