I feel so bad right now, I've really messed up.

@Valenas (1510)
One of my larger dogs managed to knock the trashcan over, and my Dachshund had a field day with it. Well, I cleaned everything up, and I didn't think about it, so I didn't say anything, and that was my first mistake. And, so mother tells me that he has been sick since yesterday evening, and vomited this morning, and I thought back to yesterday and told her that they had gotten into the trash. She didn't think anything of it because he is not large enough to knock it over. I guess I didn't specify that the trash can was knocked over when I woke up, my second mistake. We both work at a vet clinic, and I kind of feel like a failure at the moment. Mother will have to take him into work tomorrow and they'll probably have to open him up. He's eleven, soon twelve years old, and I'm afraid of what might happen because he is so old. I've had this dog since I was six. I feel so bad because in hindsight, I know the error that I made and how I could have, should have, prevented it. And, I hate thinking that I won't make it again, because I shouldn't have made it in the first place. I know that I knew better, why didn't I say anything? Why didn't I do anything about it? Why did I blow it off? Please, hold on until the morning, until you can get help. And, please, pull through this...
I'm sorry to hear about your dog and I hope he's okay. It's really easy to look back at things and recognize your mistakes, but I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it, either, and would have done the same thing -- and I'm pretty pet savvy! I had a dog that ate a bunch of garbage and he was sick, sick for about four or five hours and we didn't know what the problem was. Right before we got to the vet, he started yakking up garbage and didn't end up needing surgery or anything but a check over. Don't blame yourself for this! Dogs get into things and sometimes it's unavoidable. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your pup!
@Valenas (1510)
I am glad that your dog was able to get it all out of his system. My dog managed to throw up part of a chicken bone with some of the water that was coming up, and so we were able to confirm that he, indeed, got into the chicken. We had a dog, once, that had discovered that she was able to open the refrigerator. We came home and found her laying on the floor in front of it, looking up at us, too tired and bloated to move. It taught us that, if dogs want something, they'll go for it. But, that happened a long time ago, when I was very little. And, we haven't had anything happen like that since then. But thank you for responding. Mother will probably be taking him off to work in the morning before I even wake up, and I'll probably call in there to see what is happening or is going to happen.
@nilzerous1 (2435)
There is nothing to get worried of. It is really difficult to have full control over eating habit of your pet. They are very curious and prefer to experiment a lot with new items. So, it is quite natural for him to eat it up. Instead of feeling bad, or getting worried - try to focus on your other activities. Vets usually look after these disorders nicely.
@Valenas (1510)
The problem is, he won't get medical care until tomorrow morning unless his condition begins to worsen. We work at a clinic, and it has regular hours. If it becomes worse, we'll have to take him to a 24-hour emergency clinic. I know that it is hard to control the eating habits sometimes, but there were minor things that I could have been doing that would have made a major difference in their behavior, such as walking them more often (its really hot here right now, though, and we tend to tire far too quickly in it). Thank you for your response.
@rbailey83 (1401)
i wouldn't get too worried about it, dogs get into just about everything, can't always help it
@Valenas (1510)
Yeah, it's a survival tactic. What upsets me is that it is something that he SHOULDN'T have been able to get in to. The trashcan is one of those big kitchen trashcans requiring the large trash bags, and he is only a Dachshund. I know that he would have gotten into it if he were large enough because that is just his way, but what bothers me is the larger dog's motives, that is something that is a little abnormal as far as their behavior goes.
My dog is always getting into things he shouldnt but he seems to always feel better the next day so I think he will recover. I'm not sure if he has eaten today, and he doesnt want to even drink water but periodically he goes through this and seems to be ok the next day so hopefully he will improve tomorrow. He reminds me alot of your dog.I hope he is ok.
@Valenas (1510)
Sometimes dogs can get into quite a bit. Sometimes, it is more harmful than others. I wish that he would have gotten into a trash can full of carrots or something, because he likes those and they're a good snack for him. We just ran the last bit of fluids that we have into him. He tried drinking earlier and ended up vomiting it all back up, so hopefully entering the liquids through the skin will be more effective. I hope your dog doesn't get into anything too dangerous. Thank you for commenting.
@baileycows (3669)
I wouldnt fret to much my puppy ate a bunch of rocks about 3 weeks ago and they were able to just give him a couple of enemas to fix him. So I am sure the dog will be okay. Anyway you can't do anything about it now. So just wait and see what the vet says.
@Valenas (1510)
I am glad that your dog was able to recover and that they found a solution. I'd like to believe that this is that simple. If the bone splinters, it could travel to his heart. Either way, the bones are not going to simply pass, and he will more than likely have to be opened up to get them out. Real bones are a lot more harmful to a dog than most people seem to realize. I hope that he will be alright. Thank you for responding.