Why is it so hard to get a run of the mill hourly job?

@sedel1027 (17868)
Since I don't have health insurance I want a decent job that I can go to, not work a ton of hours and get benefits. A few places around here qualify for that but they are all places like Starbucks. I have applied to these places and they always give me a look like "You sure you want to work here" and take my app. Now these places are hiring all the time, but I don't get any phone calls. I have 10 years office experience, I have worked as an executive assistant, I have written grants, etc etc etc and I really think this is why I am being overlooked. I am wondering, should I lie on all my applications?
@goldeneagle (6776)
everyone claims to be hiring, yet when you apply, they wont call you back. It also seems like when you are looking for a job, you cant find one...but when you have work, everyone wants to hire you. I got a call today from a bank that I applied at almost three months ago.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I have been getting calls for jobs that I don't want or can't afford to take (base don drive time, daycare and cost of gas).
Right now I must say that I would take almost anything else I could get to get out of the job I have now. It isn't hard work at all, but it is aggravating as hell. I must say that I am just glad to have a job, though, especially with the way the economy is right now. I am almost scared to try to look for something else.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I had a good job, but when we moved where we are now but they pay wouldn't cut it with gas and whatnot. I am on an open contract with them and do get mileage paid when I do go in - which is about twice a week - but since I am not full time, they don't carry me on their insurance (which was paid in full). I had looked for awhile when we first decided to move and there were a lot more positions open. If i had any medical training and better I would get an awesome job easily.
@stephcjh (32385)
We don't have health insurance either and it has really hit home as of yesterday with my 16 year old daughter. Her dad is supposed to carry it on her but I cannot get hold of him. She had to go to the emergency room yesterday and is scheduled to have surgery after I get it set up today. I know alot of places do not hire overqualified applicants. they think those types of people will not stay working for their place of business very long. You may want to alter your applications to appeal to them more.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I hope your daughter is okay. I would rather no t lie because they will eventually find out the truth. I mean, someone with skills can get moved up into management within 6 months, Granted I don't want to world there forever, but at least until my son is a bit older - he is 9 - and I know he can stay home during all his days off by himself, I want a decent job with a flexible schedule.