Since most courthouses do not have the Ten Commandments posted outside...

Since most courthouses do not have the Ten Commandments posted outside...why do we still have to swear on a Bible when we take an oath?
There are court houses now that have done away with the Bible and swearing to God altogether. Personally I'm glad cause I would hate to start a court session by lying and swearing to something that I have no connection to.
@Debs_place (10525)
That would be quite a conundrum there, to swear you are telling the truth based on something you don't believe in. If you were in the situation, what would you do?
I would let them know before hand, no need to go through the whole ceremony and they say it.
But that would allow you to lie because you are not promising to tell the whole truth.
I noticed in a court room on one of those newsmagazine shows, that in one case they put a witness on the stand and the witness did not have to put their hand on the Bible, they just said the words the person asked them to swear too. I don't know if that has been excluded now in some states or not. I know there was a lawsuit a while back about having to swear on the Bible. I don't remember which state it was though.
@Debs_place (10525)
I missed that, so many things in this country have changed based on religion. Is it because we are more vocal and worried about being PC or are we just becoming more sensitive to people's needs regardless if it is PC or not?
@Debs_place (10525)
Interesting reading on the topic http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq12199bible.html
I think the Bible was put there to be sworn on because it was once thought that if a person was swearing by God to be honest, that they would feel more inclined to do so. If you take God out of it now, I am not sure it makes a difference for some people. I think they will lie either way as long as they think they will not be caught.
@Vladilyich1 (1454)
I have wondered exactly the same thing! It makes absolutely no sense. Either have it one way completely, or the other.
@Debs_place (10525)
It is true, we should be consistent, but nothing in this world is.
I wonder who the exact people are who make these decisions.
@Debs_place (10525)
In the famous words of Tevya -TRADITION! This is something that goes way back, in a God fearing country (at least a Christian one) the use of the Bible made people realize that this was serious and they were bound by God to tell the truth. I wonder what they are doing these days with Muslims in court? I would think that swearing on the Bible to them would be an insult of the worse kind!
My husbad is a Mormon. Mormons believe in the Book Of Mormon as "another testiment of Jesus Christ." Jews have one testiment, Cristians have two, Mormos have three. He always said that if asked to swear on the Bible he'll ask that a Book Of Mormon be inluded, since FOR HIM it's ot all there in the standard Bible
My husband is Muslim, and he is from a different country. If he had to swear on a Bible, I don't believe he would have a problem with that simply because we are in America. In America, we use a Bible. He has no problem following the law.
@Debs_place (10525)
But do you think all Muslims would feel this way? It seems to me that many Muslims are very rigid in their beliefs.
That's a good quesion. I absolutely refuse to swear on a Bible ecause for me that is worshiping a false idol. I am not going to worship the book. I have HEARD the word of Christ, (read aloud by others) and to me that is only holy when it reaches the depths of one's heart, and they BELIEVE it, not when it's written on mass-produced sheets of paper.
The Bible is Holy to me because I believe it. If one doesn't believe it then I guess it would not be Holy to that person and therefore to swear on it would be meaningless.
@Debs_place (10525)
So I wonder how the courts would handle you, I guess you could swear without putting your hand on the bible.
I believe the WORDS are holy, I just don't want to swear on something that was massproduced by humans. Give me a lump of soil, or a piece of unpolished stone, or something, and I can swear on God's creation, if I must swear on something.
@spalladino (17924)
Because the secular progressives haven't managed to take that away from us yet...but give them time and we'll be swearing on something really stupid in court...or we won't be allowed to swear an oath at all and I have no idea what that would do to our already wacked out court system!
This is true. And the things I had respect for as a child....I no longer have respect for.
@raclie (1732)
well... i think it is because most countrys are not christain countries, but they make you swear on a bible as it is your own releigion. so in that sense, it is different. hope this helps!!!
Thank you for your thoughts.