Do you like to stay in backpacker hostels?

@maximax8 (27049)
When I was younger I really liked staying in youth hostels and in backpacker accommodation. Especially in countries like the USA it is a way to travel cheaply. There are some fantastic backpacker hostels in Australia. The one in Cairns even has a swimming pool. I have stayed in large dorms with 11 other people and in small dorms with only three other people. Now I have a baby son I tend to stay in guest houses and miss out on meeting the other guests. Have you ever stayed in a backpacker hostel? If so, what was it like? What sort of accommodation do you tend to chose these days? Thanks.
@sk66rc (4264)
Really? I haven't been to one of those & I've been living in U.S. for about 23 years... I do like traveling & that's one of the things I've always wanted to try... Closest thing I ever came to was staying in Bed & Breakfast when it was full... Breakfast time was really nuts... So many people were walking around in the little bed & breakfast house... I did meet few interesting people... I'd love to know where those things are here in U.S...
@sk66rc (4264)
Thank you... I'll have to try the places you've mentioned... I do have to admit, now that I have daughter & a girl friend that lives with me, it'd be little hard to take off but long time ago when I was single, I'd just pick up & go... I guess now that I have family of my own, I've got some planning to do if I wanna go on something like that, backpacking...
@maximax8 (27049)
Perhaps when she is older your daughter will enjoy backpacking. In my home country the youth hostels allow guests of over 5 years old stay there. Some families do take their older children hosteling. Canada has some lovely youth hostels that my bother-in law told me about.
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi Maxine, The only hostels I have ever stayed in have been here in the UK as they are cheaper and more fun to stay in than a B&B or hotel but my daughter stayed in a lot on her travels in her gap year and thoughly enjoyed the experience. Ellie :D
@maximax8 (27049)
Hi Ellie. I have only stayed in a couple of hostels in the UK because in my younger days I was in a rush to go overseas. I am glad that your daughter enjoyed staying in hostels on her gap year. Where did she go? One of my friends told me that her son is backpacking for 5 months around South America. He is currently in Brazil. Maximax.
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi Maxine, she travelled the whole of Australia and then went onto Fiji from there. An amazing experience for her where she slept on beaches in hostels, met amazing people who she is still in contact with and caught the travel bug she has already been to Spain, France and New York this year already oh and Tunisia too. I have encouraged her while she is young as she has been in a steady relationship since 16 and is 21 now and I didn't want her to resent not doing it before she totally settled if that makes sense and like you she can still travel if she has children. Ellie :D
@maximax8 (27049)
Thanks for telling me about your daughter's wonderful travels. Australia is full of friendly backpackers and it is so great to make new international friends. Your daughter is lucky to have met someone special so young and stayed with him happily. One of my friends met a man when she was 16 and married him when she was 22. These days they are still happily married with a daughter. Yes, if your daughter has children I am sure that she will still travel Ellie.
@cripfemme (7719)
I love youth hostels and as more and more of them renovate especially here in the US it's easier for me to find ones that will also accommodate my disability related needs. Of course getting into a bunk bed is difficult and it's weird to use a bed pan in a room of other people but I hang a towel and I deal. I think that youth hostels are amazing places and I just might change someone's mind about what it is to have a disability and be alive especially in these countries where disabled people don't go out much.
@maximax8 (27049)
It is great when youth hostels are suitable for disabled people. Yes, I think it must be a shame if some disabled people in other countries can't go hosteling because the hostels are inaccessible for them. My toddler son has to have catheters and one of his legs is very weak. He has spina bifida and is 14 months at the moment. At the moment we are not sure if he will be able to walk, possibly with calipers to help him. He might need a wheelchair but there great special needs pushchair that would last him until he is 10 once he outgrows his normal pushchair. Well done for changing people's minds about what it is like to have a disability.
@tonytt2009 (1706)
Yes,my wife & I would like to spend most of our travel nights in the backpacker hostel!!In this kind of hostel,I can collect some more concrete,useful information to prepare my next day's schedule,ESPECIALLY when I was planning some adventure one,the information there is always helpful,and if lucky enough,we could get some one as a group.Wonderful~!~In my country,there're so many backpacker hostel,which provide the cheaper but nice accommodation and nice guide map.etc....Loving backpacking~~LOL
@KrauseHome (32365)
Well, when we went to NYC last yr. in September, we stayed in a Hotel that I am sure the average person would never choose to stay in. It was called The Pod. It was actually a quite interesting Hotel, and we would recommend it, and will probably stay there again when we go back to NYC in February. It is still one of those old fashioned type where you have a room with a TV, and a lot of times the room might be tiny with bunkbeds to sleep on instead of a regular bed. And your Bathroom is down the hallway and you have no choice but to have to go out to eat everywhere as well. For us, it was quite interesting, and something that did not bother us. On the average though we always try to find the Best deals when we travel for a hotel. We were recently in Portland OR for my birthday and found a hotel with a refridgerator and microwave in it for quite reasonable. The people who run it were very nice, and actually for the price, it was well worth it. What is interesting if you call there instead of book online, you can save yourself $20 even which is nice to know as well. So whenever we go down to Portland, we now know where we plan to stay again. But still when traveling anywhere it pays to check online first, and then decide from there.