Can't We All Just Mourn and Respect the DEAD?

@anniepa (27245)
This is really disgusting, despicable, disrespectful and any other nasty adjective anyone can come up with! Whether you're a conservative or a liberal, whether you agreed or disagreed with the political views of the late White House Press Secretary Tony Snow who lost his long battle with cancer last weekend I hope you can find something to agree with in this post. I'll start out by simply posting part of the transcript from MSNBC's Countdown With Keith Olbermann from Wednesday, July 16: ...We also lost Tony Snow, another lovely man with whom I could not have possibly have disagreed more, but whose humanity leant hope that we might some day again all share a political stage in which neither side believes it must ultimately be winner take all. Unfortunately, Mr. Snow had many around him who learned nothing from his ability to separate the message from the messenger. After I said something nice about him, Rupert Murdoch‘s non-profit newspaper, the “New York Post,” quoting an alleged unnamed friend of Mr. Snow, who said I had, quote, no relationship with Tony at all. The Post reminded its reader that I had put him on the worst persons list on January 9th, 2007. In point of fact, my relationship with Tony Snow, which was entirely by e-mail, began right after January 9th, 2007, when he wrote and joked that I should laminate that photo, since I‘d probably be using it again on future lists, and that while he often wanted to yell at the TV, he watched this show and enjoyed it. To anybody who could write that note with that humor, I owed a statement of grief on the occasion of his passing. Not to demean his memory with too much of the Post, but two other notes; the writer, Maryann Garvey (ph), finished off her fabrication by adding, quote, a rep for Olbermann didn‘t get back to us. This was a deliberate lie on Miss Garvey‘s part. She had an extensive e-mail exchange with our press relations department, and one phone conversation during which Ms. Garvey hung up on our PR person. Also The post wrote that I was “once again disrespecting the dead. The MSNBC blow hard who was overheard jockeying for Tim Russert‘s “Meet the Press” gig during Russert‘s memorial reception in Washington last month”— Sorry, when you made that crap up last month, you claimed it was Chris Matthews who was overheard jockeying. So not only was your lie wrong, but your lie about your lie was also wrong. Moral? Maryann Garvey and Richard Johnson and their boss Rupert Murdoch are sick, sick people, the ethical equivalent of grave robbers. End of transcript Here is Keith Olbermann's statement after he learned of Snow's passing: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/tony_snows_death_olbermann_statement_89092.asp "Tony Snow was an optimistic, funny, and courageous man who could set aside his politics and inspire others to do the same. It might surprise many at all political points, but while we could not have disagreed more on policy, we were in frequent contact, even during his days as Press Secretary, even as I was criticizing his work and he was — in his own words — yelling at the screen as he watched. It was with great sadness that I heard of his death today, and with sincerity I extend my condolences and my staff's to his family. In the best of us, there is a difference between the message and the messenger, and Tony Snow epitomized that." I ask you, what was wrong with that statement, regardless of your feelings about Keith and his show? I watch Countdown every night religiously and I've heard Keith say nice things about Tony Snow on several occasions despite the fact that he admittedly disagreed with his politics. Can't people just show some respect to each other and accept that politics isn't always so personal that someone can't actually like and respect someone from the opposite party and feel the same desire to express their sympathy to the family as those of the same party? I'm a liberal Democrat, everyone here who knows me knows that; I liked and respected Tony Snow and I feel absolutely terrible about his death from cancer and my heart sincerely goes out to his wife and children. Annie
@fiona08 (454)
It is very sad that more people can't keep their politics and personal feelings toward individuals separate. Mature people should be able to feel, and to express sincere thoughts of compassion, toward fellow human beings, in spite of their opposing political views. It is sad that when someone tries to do so, there are those ready to attack his sincerity, as a way to discredit him. A well rounded and educated person will find value in people of all walks of life, with different religious and political affiliations, different philosophies, and different goals. We should be able to respect a person's right to express himself, and to express heartfelt sympathies, and sentiments.
@anniepa (27245)
I agree and I think the key word here is "mature". Obviously maturity doesn't always have anything to do with age! Annie