My Favorite Author

I have been inspired to tell you about my favorite author after a discussion that Villageanne posted entitled "What are you reading these days", here is the link to her article: http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1610696.aspx The first novel I read was "Walking After Midnight" which was published in 1995. A few years passed and I found one of her books at a yard sale. I purchased it and began reading it as soon as I got it home. Karen Robards pulls you into the story from page one. I devoured each word and the chapters flew by. I kept thinking that the story was similar to one I had read before. Then I came upon a line from the book that made me realize it was the same book I had read years ago. My reaction to the line was the same as it was when I read it for the first time. Gradually I have read more and more of Karen Robards' books. She really is a gifted writer. The last book I read was "Beachcomber" published in 2003. Such a great read. She blends mystery, suspense, romance and humor into her books. I highly suggest her books to anyone. But, I give warning that these books contain a bit of sensuality and may not be for everyone. If you'd like to find out more about Karen Robards check out her website: http://www.karenrobards.com/ You can enter a contest for a free signed book. For you avid fans there is a quiz on the site to test your knowledge of her books and their characters. Check it out. I know you won't be disappointed.
@wachit14 (3600)
I belong to a book club and I read many various authors. I often find when I stick with one author, I begin to grow tired of the writing style and the story lines become somewhat predictable. By belonging to a book club, I am introduced to books I might not otherwise pick up by myself. If you do belong to a book club, there's a great website called www.bookmovement.com. You can register your book club and enter to win free books from publishers for your club. Our club just won "Loving Frank" which is a story about the great architect, Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress. It's very interesting, a real page turner!
I am now trying to read books written by a variety of authors. I picked up a book by "Mary Higgins Clark" and find it is a quick read. The title is "I'll Be Seeing You."
I too am a huge Karen Robards fan. I've read everything she's ever written. As for my favorite author, it's tough to choose, because I like so many. For historical romance my favorite is certainly Bertrice Small. She drags you into a story and you can't get out until you finish the book. She is fantastic at writing family saga's which really are to my liking. I like reading about families from generation to generation. She mostly writes medieval, but has been writing some fantasy romance, which is very good. Bertrice Small also has a website www.bertricesmall.com. Hope you enjoy it.
Thank you for the link and your input on Beatrice Small. I do enjoy romance novels and her books are ones I will enjoy reading. Books where you find it hard to put down are ones that are the best. Sagas are good too. I love it when an author writes a series of books. Jean Auel has a series that is exceptional. She has written 5 books in a series about Earth's Children. She has been working on a 6th book and I wait anxiously for that one. Here is a link to a website for her: http://www.authorsontheweb.com/features/authormonth/0204auel/auel-jean.asp
There is a list of books that Beatrice Small has written and has a list of books to be read in order of the series. That is great!
She also runs a monthly contest from her website. I actually won a signed copy of Skye O'Malley, the first in that series. It is also my favorite series. I've been reading her books for years...since the early 80's. I'm so glad you liked the site. Keep me posted on how you like her books.
@Feona1962 (7527)
Hi Elusive... I have been reading alot...at least a book every two days...I have been trying out new authors..different types of stories...I found that I like Nicole Byrd..and Julia Quinn..They both write about Lords and Lady's...I find them quite entertaining...I was told that Jo Beverly is good... I checked out Karen's website and just reading the excerpt from her newest book "Guilty" has me very interested.... Thank you for recommending her... I am always looking for books to read...If you have any others you would like to recommend, please let me know...
Hi Feona! I will have to check out these authors. Historical romance novels are great. I enjoy them so much. Karen Robards has a few of them and they are so well written.
@Feona1962 (7527)
I was going through my books...and I found one written by Karen...It is called "This Side of Heaven." So I am going to read it as soon as I get finished with a series I have from "Mary Balogh"..... I get my books from the library..they have a box and you can purchase paperback books for 25 cents a piece or 5 for a dollar...I have picked up alot of books and found a lot of new and interesting authors this way...They also have others for sale for 50 cents or a dollar...sometimes they have free paperbacks in the box at least once a week...so I get alot of them for free...which is awesome... I have accumulated almost 100 books in the last few months this way...all paperback... I have at least 50 books written by Debbie Macomber.....
I have a few of Debbie Macomber's books. She is also a good writer. But, my favorite is still Karen Robards.
Elusive Butterfly hi I am partial to Stephen KIng and just finished Dumas Key,great book as usuall. Faye Kellerman is another of my favorites, and Sue Grafton with her alphabet books with her private eye kinsey Milhone they are so much fun,and Nora Roberts of course,also Karen Robards at times. also lIke Johnathon Kellermans books too, Fayes husband.
One of my clients reads the alphabet books. She enjoys a good mystery.
@villageanne (8554)
I have so wanted to read BeachComvers but have not got it from the library yet. I love to read. Thanks for the recommendations. Do you get your books at the library?
Beachcombers was so good. I had trouble putting it down.
Thank you for the tip on a great author, elusive. I am ALWAYS looking for new stuff to read. I will go to the library to check out Robards.
I have to go to our library one day to see what there is available. Haven't been in a long time.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I am an avid fan of Nora Roberts although I haven't read any of her books lately. I have heard of Karen Robards before but can not say that I have heard that much. I appreciate the few links you have provided and I may enter this contest!
I often confused the two authors and purchased many of Nora Roberts. I have read a few of her books too.
@Opal26 (17690)
Hi Butterfly, I always like to hear about authors that someone else enjoys. I will definitely check out the website and try to get my hands on both of the books that you recommended. They sound like they would definitely be to my liking. I like books that get me interested right from the beginning. I tend to start a book and then I don't know what happens and I sometimes just don't get back to it for awhile. It definitely has to be something that I have trouble putting down. Thank you so much for the information. That's one of the great things about mylot-sharing stuff like this!