Silly Question

lawn - pretty when watered
@laglen (19782)
I know this is a silly question but.... Do you water your lawn. If so, how often. I was born and raised in Michigan, we never watered our lawn! I now live in Colorado and have to water atleast every other day! How about you?
@p1kef1sh (45640)
No never. Dreadful waste of water (we have water rationing most summers in the south of England; crazy though that sounds) and we have enough rain here to not worry too much. Grass is very resilient and will bounce back. I can understand golf courses etc wanting to keep their lawns lush, but for most of us it's not worth worrying over.
@laglen (19782)
I understand. We actually are good on water but still try to conserve. We use our water from our washing machine for watering our veggies, this is a bigger area than the lawn!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Veggies is different entirely. I have a variety of watering means for them. I have thought of putting a rain collector tank in. But it would mean digging a large hole in the garden and the cost is breathtaking.
@laglen (19782)
capturing rain water here is illegal (don't ask). So is draining the washer but it is under ground! We did it ourselves with some PVC pipe and old hose.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Nope. We don't water ours. We don't need to until late in the summer months, but we actually like it when it gets all dried up. That means we can mow it less.
@laglen (19782)
lol I understand that. It is just VERY dry here. When you don't water it is a fire hazard.
We only have a month or two of dry season. Actually here it is mid-July and it rained this morning. Usually it is dry this time of year, and stays dry through August and September. Towards the end of September the rain begins again.
@laglen (19782)
We get an afternoon spit sometimes! Just enough to annoy.
People who water their lawns alway amaze me. People who water and fertilize their lawns amaze me even more. Here's why. If you water your lawn, the grass grows faster, needing mowing sooner. Fertilizer really compounds this problem. Otherwise, the grass might die? Yippee!
@laglen (19782)
lol we water and fertilize. I like a pretty green lawn. We only have a small patch though because the rest is taken up by food.
@relundad (2311)
I live in GA and we definitely need to water the lawns. For the last few years we have had drought some of our lakes are down over 20 ft. Most of the state, or at least a lot of cities and counties have water bans and/or restrictions.
@laglen (19782)
We have restrictions as well. We just make sure that we aren't watering the street and only use as little as possible.
i dont water my lawn even though it probably use it, becasue I think it would be a waste of water, a precious commodity. I have some small trees that i planted last year, I do water those because I think they would die without it. I also spritz water on the garden like every other day becasue I think it really benefits from it. We havent had a lot of rain recently.
@laglen (19782)
I water the lawn because it would die too.
@peavey (16866)
Yes, we have to water here unless we want weeds and rocks for a lawn. I water about three times every two weeks, though. Get some "Revive" or something similar. It's a soil conditioner and it helps the grass use the water you put down so that you won't have to water so often. My lawn looks just as good as the guy's across the street who waters three times a week.
@laglen (19782)
Good for you! We use Revive in the Spring
@peavey (16866)
Thanks for best response. :)
@sarcos (201)
• New Zealand
I wish the rain we are having here in New Zealand would do quite nicely over your way but the amount might be abit much on poor parched ground it would just run off. In the summer this way I don't water as there is usually water restrictions in the heat of summer so its no good to have your lawn looking better as you would end up in trouble for using to much.
@laglen (19782)
I understand. We are allowed to water here, we are good on water but I still try to conserve. But I really like a nice lawn....
It's pretty hard for me to water my lawn when I do not have a lawn. LOL All I have is a patio outside of my brick apartment building.
@laglen (19782)
Do you water your patio to make it grow?
@biggerb (2028)
No I dont water my lawn now and then we do get rains and that is sufficient.When my lawn becomes a little brown i do spray a manure to bring back the color.This is very occasionally.Otherwise it does well.