entertainment for the kids

@4ofmyown (1119)
Well, summer vacation is more than half over for us and I am running out of ideas of stuff to do with the kids during the day. Can you share what you do with your children during these lazy summer days?
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
We haven't really done much of anything thus far this summer. Our main entertainment is letting the kids outside to play with their friends. It would be nice if it weren't so rainy though. We save all our family activities for Sundays when my husband is off work.
@4ofmyown (1119)
We actually splurged this year and bought an above ground pool for them but it rains here almost every afternoon. Plus the newness of it has worn off so they are not as excited to go swimming. I guess they would go in more if I got in with them...the thought of wearing a bathing suit....ugh!
LOL, if I had an above ground pool I'd be in it everyday... so long as it was warm and not rainy. I don't care who sees my bathing suit.
@deebomb (15322)
Kids love boxes. Give them some pretty good size boxes and some big markers and turn them loose. Add some paper plates for wheels and their imagination will soar. Get them started by suggesting a train or an airplane. Put some seats in for a bus. Make a castle and give them something for crowns.
@4ofmyown (1119)
I have always heard that you give a child a toy and they play with box more, right? Great idea, I have a couple home improvement stores around me...I wonder if they would give those really big boxes, like from refrigerators. Thanks for the idea!!
@deebomb (15322)
Yes I have seen that little kids do like the boxes better than some of the toys. It would be worth finding out about the big boxes at the home improvement stores.
crafts lots of crafts, I just keep there hands busy.
@4ofmyown (1119)
I never think of crafts because I am not a very crafty person. But I guess they would really enjoy it and I could find alot of ideas on the web probably. Thanks for your idea. * I am in Florida too!
cool where in florida? and if they are young kids then go to everythingpreschool.com there are a ton of fun stuff on there.
Lazy summer days, Iwish i had them. LOL. When my kids were younger I use to take them to the zoo on a Wednesday night. The zoo was open late and I had a zoo pass so did not cost to go. We would take some foor and eat on the way rond. The zoo closed its gates at eight but is took us till about nine to get out. The animals were much more lively as it was evening and it was cooler. On riany days I would take them to diffrent science centers with hands on. I kept a science pass and we would get in all of them for free. The passes alre good all over the country if you visit out of state. Some days we would spend a day at a metro park with a pol and pic nic. Hope these ideas help you.
@4ofmyown (1119)
We do have some parks around us...but the zoo and science centers are pretty far away. I will see if the county parks offer anything. Thanks for the idea.