Are my cats trying to talk to each other?

Right now, my two female cats are lounging on the loveseat in the computer room. One is perfectly happy trying to take a nap. And the other one is acting weird. Just now, she rolled onto her back and started making a chirping sound. And she tried to touch her paw to the other female cat's paw. I've never seen her do that before. Why do cats do that? Is that some kind of weird cat communication? Is she talking to the other cat with her chirping sounds? Would love to know.
@jerzgirl (8027)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Yes, they are, although I couldn't begin to know what. My cat does that to me - she'll get behind me and give me a chirp and touch me with her paw. I'll turn to pet her and soon, she's doing it again. She wants some attention. My two cats aren't friends, so Chloe will do that to me, not to Shady. Yours is probably wanting some "one on one" time with the other one. Maybe some mutual grooming or something.
I think you're right on the attention idea. Little Buddy (the chirping cat) has tried to make good friends with EB (the other cat) since she came into the house this past year. EB has slowly warmed up to her charms! I think the two female cats would be best friends if EB would give in!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I would say yes she's trying to communicate with the other cat in hopes to become friends. I think it's a way of her showing that she's not going to hurt the other but wants to get closer if it's ok with the other. If the other swats at her then she'll know it's a no no and to leave her alone. I love watching cats too. They're funny little creatures and so very loving too.
They always make me smile!
That's what it sounds like to me. Animals have funny and cute ways of communicating with eachother. They really get creative sometimes. Whether they love eachother or hate eachoher they always have something to say to eachother.
I've noticed that too. Actually I think the older female cat, EB taught that chirping sound to Little Buddy, the younger female cat. And then later the little one just repeated it. About three weeks ago, I caught EB chirping to Little Buddy. She was looking right at her and chirping. I think she was really talking to her.
@ElicBxn (60895)
She's probably trying to get the other cat to play with her. If she were looking out the window, she might be responding to something out there - a bird or squirrel. Wish you'd post pix of your kitties!
yea,it is kind of.i've seen mine do that when they want to play and the other cat is zoning out.they're trying to get attention with kitten like chirps.
@DakySlo (72)
• Slovenia
the cat yust wants to play, but cat like all animals talk to each other
yeah, i always believe that every kind of animal even bees and ants has its own way of communicating, not to mention cats.