Back to School Check ups

back to school - yippee!
@laglen (19783)
So, its back to school time. We have health insurance but it does not cover vision or dental. We all wear glasses. Our co-pay for Doctor is $45, the chiropractor does a sport physical for $10 then donates that to our school! we are trying a quick care type of place for the dentist. Our dentist is outrageous! Cleaning at our usual dentist is $150, the clinic, $20. Then for glasses, we are hitting the Walmart vision center. Instead of $450 where we used to go, now we will pay $200. So, just in three appointments, we will save atleast $365. Good because I will need that for the hair appointment! lol What are your BIG back to school expenses?
@relundad (2312)
It is that time again and hopefully based on your list here it seems that you need to have a yearly check up on your insurance! Seems that you may not have the best plan for your needs. Outside of the usual things that every parent will have to pay for this time of year, I have to write a huge check for my son's yearly tuition.
@laglen (19783)
Yearly tuition: ouch. Regarding the insurance, this is what is available to me. We are very healthy otherwise so I have not interest in paying for more. What I am paying out this fall will be less than getting more insurance.
We homeschool, so our expenditures are a little different. My biggest spender is the curriculums. I can get alot of it for free just by spending time, alot of time, looking for the items I want. I do still have to purchase books, and such. My children have their physical every year, and we do keep up on immunizations. There are a few that are not mandatory, that they dont get. We have insurance, no dental or vision thank goodness we dont need those, and copays are 40 dollars each, then of course lab work they always have to do a urine test you know. My kids still grow, so we do still buy school clothes, that are just for school hours, of course I dont have to be as fussy because they are homeschooled, and shoes, pencils, erasers, notebooks and all that other fun stuff, no backpacks though, there is at least a 40 dollar savings right there.
@laglen (19783)
lol very true. I totally believe in school vouchers, wouldn't that be nice for you? Just the curriculum would make a difference.
@katsmeow1213 (25802)
Luckily I do not have to go through all that. I have to get them check ups with the doc, and we have $20 copay per person, but that is it. I forget how much the dentist is, but naughty me hasn't made an appointment yet. Other than that, our biggest expenses are the supplies, shoes, and clothes for them to return to school with.
@laglen (19783)
It adds up quick!