did you know raisins could kill your dog?

@savypat (20247)
United States
July 24, 2008 5:15pm CST
I didn't know that this could happen. The Vet on TV said even one raisin could be fatal. They didn't explain why, but I know trainers have been using raisins in the show ring for many years as treat. Anybody hear of this before?
3 responses
@thegirl (11)
• United States
25 Jul 08
yes & if you didn't already know, they also shouldn't be given grape or chocolate
• United States
24 Jul 08
When I got my puppy my mom cut out an article from one of her Good Housekeeping magazines that listed the 10 worst things for your dog or cat that you wouldn't expect. Raisins were on that list. I believe pennies are also really bad too because of the copper. I'm not quite sure why raisins can be fatal, but they are. I also heard that even regular grapes are bad too, not just when they are in raisin form. So watch what your pets grab from the counters or the floors!
@reckon21 (3487)
• Philippines
24 Jul 08
No, i never heard it before. I just know it now by reading your post. I have a dog in the house. I must avoid raisin with his foods. Thanks for sharing the information.