How much more can they charge?

@rowantree (1190)
Got a flyer in with our Verizon bill today. It talks about how the FCC ruled they can't charge for this and they can't charge for that. Then it talks about the Universal Service Fee and how it's billed quarterly and how it can increase, decrease or stay the same. *sigh* I get the land line bill with the cell phone bill so I about fainted when I saw our cell phone bill was for $469.40. What? Every month, our bill is messed up. Every month, as soon as I open the bill, I have to call Verizon Wireless and get them to issue me a credit (which, I noticed, failed to show up on this month's bill). I call and I'm told that since I didn't return my phone in April, they're charging me a $329.99 fee. Huh? My phone would do nothing but text. I don't have a texting plan, so I needed a phone where I could actually SAY WORDS to people. The phone also won't hold a charge. I drove a half hour one way to get my phone fixed. The repair tech there told me all she could do was update my software on my phone. Try it for a few days and if it still doesn't work, call her and she'll send a new phone to me - she wouldn't make me drive out there again. Ok. I leave and the phone still doesn't work. The next day, I call the store. The woman isn't working there today and they're telling me I have to come into the store to get the new phone. Nuh uh, I say. Besides, I can't - don't have a vehicle today. So they back down and will send me out the new phone. I ask what do I do with the broken one? They tell me they sure as heck don't want it, it doesn't work! Ok. So here comes the same, new phone only there's no battery. That's messed up. I call and they tell me all replacement phones come that way. But part of my issue is that my phone won't hold a charge. Oh well we'll send you a battery then. What she doesn't say is that she's doing it just to shut me up so she sends me a battery that's bigger and heavier than a hockey puck. I immediately shuck the box containing said battery downstairs, where everything unwanted goes and it immediately gets lost! So my phone is working just fine, even with the old battery, and everything is right with the world. I still have to call every month to straighten out bogus charges on my bill, but at least I can talk on my phone. Last month, my daughter and I switched phones and I called Verizon to make sure we could do that. He said sure and did the switching for us, no problem. I wonder if that's when Verizon decided they wanted the old, broken phone back. So anyways, they have placed a hold on the amount which is good for 3 months, because, he said, the credit won't show up until at least September. Good to know. Every month, we have to pay for a 700 minute package (that's the least amount of minutes you can get) and every month, we use about 265 minutes. Which leaves us with an extra of 435 minutes each month. Yet every month we start over brand new instead of getting some type of credit for our unused minutes. I have been with Verizon Wireless for 13 years. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new company?
I used to have Verizon too, and I hated it. Every month I had plenty of extra charges on my bill, it seemed like every bill was higher then the last one! I was late with my bill ONE time and they sent me a double bill. I called to get it straigntened out, and I had the cancelled check number. They told me they would fix it. The next month, still no credit. I called them again to have it taken care of and instead of fixing it, they terminated my account, AND charged me the early termination fee!! I absolutly despise them. I have AT&T now and they are MUCH better! Your unused minutes from each month are transfered and they are good for one whole year! Their phones also come with SIM cards, so you can switch phones at any time, without even having to go to the store. Plus there reception is very good! They also send you free holiday wallpaper and a thank you gift in the Holiday season, which surprised me!
@rowantree (1190)
Free wallpaper? Thank you gifts? ~wow!~ I just read a review that AT&T is neck and neck with Verizon. I noticed though that the plans are almost the same - charge you for every little thing. Do you get charged a data fee? Verizon makes us pay a data fee to look for new ringtones, wallpapers, etc. If you download something to your phone, you get charged a data fee for that too, in addition to the charge for whatever you've downloaded.
Yes, the do charge data fees, but there not that expensive. They have the taxes and other things that Verizon does too, but they have lots of plans that have unlimited data and texting. I also heard that Sprint has a new plan thats $99 a month, and everything is including texting, calling, web search, e-mail and ect. The only bad thing is there service isnt too great. I personally like Att the best, they have an umlimited data plan, where you can surf the internet and its $15/mo I believe. They also have a great unlimited texting plan for everyone on your contract. Oh, and I almost forgot, they let you purchases ringtones, wallpapers, ect on their website and then send them to you phone, it saves ALOT on data charges!
@sk66rc (4263)
Just about every cell. phone service providers have unlimited plan of some sort... Of course, pricings are all different... I know that AT&T has unlimited voice plan for $99.99 & you can add unlimited data plan for I believe $35, I could be wrong about data plan price but I know it's very close to that price... Verizon has same plan, unlimited voice for $99.99, or you can get all inclusive plan for $149.99, again I'm not too sure if the $149.99 is exactly accurate but close to it... I have t-mobile myself & have blackberry phone through them... Again, unlimited voice & text messaging is $99.99 & blackberry plan which includes unlimited e-mails through phone & unlimited internet access is $19.99... So whole bill should come out to be $119.98 before tax & fees... That's the plan I have... I do get 15% discount because of my job, I guess t-mobile has some sort of agreement with the place I work for... After the discount & taxes & fees, my phone bill comes out to $115 & some change a month... Being it that pretty much everything is unlimited, unless I buy something through internet from my phone, my bill doesn't change...