In Soviet Russia, wrist cuts you!

@II2aTee (2560)
Thats right - being "Emo" i soon to be outlawed in Russia. For those who dont know, "Emo" is a new trend that many teenagers follow. It's a form a music (My Chemical Romance is one of the more popular bands) that expresses deep emotion. "Emo" teens are often noted for wearing dark clothing, having long hair, and crying. I for one am amazed that Russia is taking steps to actually outlaw a trend. They claim that Emo music leads to depression and suicide among teens. Imagine if America tried to do something like that. Come to think of it they probably could... no Emo teens would protest such an act because that would mean they would have to leave their basement and go into the sunlight. Haha... I kid, I kid. I have alot of Emo freinds. I dont "get it" myself but hey, as a gay, pagan, native american who am I to judge :p What do you guys think?
@greysfreak (1385)
LOL I will try not to say everything I think abou this because it makes me so mad that I could scream! Seriously, I don't get these people, what is wrong with being different and being into something cool? haha I don't think that they could do it in the US, since we are supposedly free to live the way we want (I stress the word "supposedly" LOL). I was an emo kid before it was called emo! And I was depressed before I was even into that music! Come on, I was depressed when I was younger and all I listened to was like country and Britney Spears! Actually this kind of music actually helps me deal with my own past experiences and feelings. So they are really hurting people worse if they pull this stuff! Really emo is about being emotional, aka not being a robot for the mainstream! I think more people should cry, especially guys, because girls have this permission to cry at anytime, and I think guys should start releasing their emotions in this way more. It's better than holding it in and going and beating someone up or something! geez. Anyway, emo is beautiful because it's not boring and ordinary! Ok, that's all, before I end up writing anymore and offending someone, because I don't want to.. but this is offensive that a country is willing to do this. Because really, you know, I have known more people who self-injured who were completely "normal" looking, and none of them were emo! So these people need to get over blaming good bands for the downfall of youth, when the truth is, it's societies fault for shoving all these plastic fake singers at us. Basically, I see it this way--when I was in 9th grade they wanted to ban Marilyn Manson and blame him for all things bad, now it's emo. Yet Britney Spears has been running around half naked and messed up for like a decade and people still "love" her. Why? I guess because people are shallow and think with their hormones and not their mind! grr. LOL
@II2aTee (2560)
All very excellent points :) Very good response :)
Thank you, I was so worried that I'd be misread or that I was overreacting and being too sensitive. I tend to get that way when it comes to this stuff. Although I'm sure when I was younger I would have held back less, and just said that these people are a bunch of idiots. Maybe my addition of disney pop into my life has softened me a little. LOL I'm glad that my response made sense, I was starting to think that my thoughts were only understood by, like me.
@II2aTee (2560)
I get that feeling sometimes too :) But no, this response was very well written and articulate and you got your point across just fine. You know.. in my day (wow I never thought Id say those words), Emo's were called "Goths". All through highschool I was a Goth. Black clothes, black trench coat, rain or shine, heat wave or blizzard. I used to wear eye liner and peirce any part of my body that I could pinch. Then that whole Columbine thing happened. Suddenly I felt the need to distance myself from that kind of image in fears people would think I would do something like that in my high school. Well, anyways, it seems that these days there are no more Goths... everyone is Emo. And hey, its probably better that way. At least now they have some music to listen to that speaks to them. All we had when I was in high school was Voltaire. And hes a little fruity... even for me!
@spalladino (17926)
I think that Russia, as well as the U.S., learned a long time ago that if you band a trend you only make it stronger. Back in the day....way back in the day...they tried to ban rock and roll music in the U.S. and that only made more kids interested in it.
@olivemai (4738)
Do they cry on purpose or are they simply sad to begin with? I thought maybe they were emotional so they call themselves emu! I do not know very much about it at all. I took a fun quiz once that said I am more emu personality wise, but I have no idea why!