Can You Give Me Some Tips On How To Finally Stop Thumbsucking?

@eihdra (3116)
Since my youngest was born up until now that he is 10 months, he always suck his thumb, middle finger, any finger, and sometimes all of his fingers, whenever he feels sleepy and/or to be able to go back to sleep when he awakes in the middle of the night. It's his friend who is always there whenever he needs a "helping hand" or "helping thumb" for that matter ..He gets so much pleasure in sucking it, to the point where a callous is already visible. If I take it away, he'll cry and won't even stop crying unless he get to put it on his mouth again. Then, he'll be at peace.. I wanna know how other mothers out there dealt with this situation..So, if you could please give me some ideas and would gladly try it on my son..thanks in advance..
@Vladilyich1 (1453)
Chili peppers rubbed on the thumb usually stops it fairly quickly.
Not a bad idea.
It worked on Kristi!
@eihdra (3116)
did it really work, you two? Did your kid have a tummy ache afterwards? Because it's chili... i don't want him to get a tummy ache, it would sure make things worst? But thanks for the suggestion anyway, if you're serious
@Sillychick (3279)
Why do you want him to stop? If he is only 10 months old, I see no reason it should be a problem. My son is 22 months old and still sucks his thumb, usually only when he is tired or in a new environment. As you said, it gives him comfort. So why does he need to stop? I would allow him to continue and as he gets older, maybe approaching 2 years, he will start to wean himself off the habit.
@eihdra (3116)
hi, sillychick..It's because his fingers are getting callouses already and sometimes it hurts and he cries when his teeth bites the callous...Do, i need to put anything to remove the hardened skin?thanks...
@capirani (1841)
He will soon figure out how not to bite himself so hard and it won't hurt. Some say it is damaging to the growth of their teeth. But while they are this young, I don't see that as much of a problem because it is helping them learn how to comfort themselves. But there are ointments you can eventually put on their thumbs to make it taste bad to help them stop. You can try to substitute a pacifier, but eventually you would have to start taking that away from them too. I think it is a natural thing for a baby of that age to suck their thumb or fingers. Teething also causes them to stick their fingers in their mouths so they can chew on them. It helps their gums feel better. If that is what is going on, try using one of the teething lotions on the gums so that they don't have so much pain.
@eihdra (3116)
hi, capirani.. Thanks for the advise..I guess it is because of the pain in his gums when teething..i am also using a gel to relieve the pain and soreness..thanks for the tips...
@chrislotz (8203)
Since he is only 10 months old I wouldn't worry about it yet. He will probably grow out of it, as most kids do. I think all babies suck there hands and fingers, I know my two did, and they grew out of it. Have you thought to give him a soother? You know, one of those nipples that aren't on a bottle, to suck on. He obviously needs the comfort he gets from sucking again as most babies do. I would just let him be for the time being and see if he does outgrow it. If not then there are ways to stop it when he is older. One way is to put some black pepper on his fingers, but not now as he is still too young. I say just enjoy the baby as much as you can, as they do grow up too quickly.
@eihdra (3116)
hi.. i did buy and changed all the nipples with tiny embossed thingy , i don't know what they are called but the saleslady said that it is used for teething babies, to give them some kinda comfort and they can chew on it..i have observed it made him a little less fussy...Yup, as of now, I'm not making a big deal anymore about his sucking..He gets comfort in it and he's happy, so I will let him be...thanks...
@marina321 (4561)
I have the same issue with my four year old and would suggest what I should have done when she was round that age, to put a sock on it when your son sleeps. Someone told me that recently and I have tried it Mine's used it for comfort and although she only sucks during bedtime now, I'd love for her to stop to avoid the issues with speech and teeth. My younger brother sucked his for many years till maybe he was about 9 or 10!he has no problems but we often tease him about it now in his twenties
@eihdra (3116)
OMG!! That's way too old to still do that!! Well, it isn't just the sucking but there may be an underlying problem...Oh, I hope my son will stop when he has to stop...Thanks...
@sweetdesign (5151)
there s no harm in this at his tender age. he will stop on his own when he no longer needs the soothing that this brings. However if he is 4 years old and still has his hand in his mouth then you would need to do something. For now just let him comfort himself.
@eihdra (3116)
thanks,sweetie...