Robbed

I just found out my sister got robbed! I am worried, especially in today's world! I want to ask if my fellow mylotters have any advice I could share with her on how to protect herself, her family, and her house. I hope they find whoever did this. Why would somebody want to rob her?
@vanities (11375)
• Davao, Philippines
she had no bulgar alarm? well i guess due to the crisis we are facing now people do such crime..such a pity for them..but dangerous in part of the person being robbed..just hope that nothing serious happened to their family..i mean no one got hurt during the process...nexttime to be extra careful on the locks..
She is doing okay, and I am relieved. I don't think she can afford a burglary alarm system though. I am glad nothign serious happened to her, my almost 2 year old nephew, and her man Chad. She lives in one of those neighborhoods.
@reckon21 (3487)
She better install security alarm in the house. Or buy a dog, how about hiring a security guard? Too many people are struggling on poverty issues. It's now difficult to find jobs and others would take robbing as extra job to earn.
I never thought of it that way before, that some people would take robbing others as an extra job to earn money or materials, given our economy. Thank you reckon21!! I will pass along this advice to her!!
@spalladino (17926)
I'm glad your sister is okay! Unfortunately, as the economy continues to get worse more people are turning to crime these days so everyone needs to take precautions. Try not to go anywhere alone where you can be a potential victim of crime. Don't travel late at night or in unfamiliar areas. In parking lots look around for anyone who seems to be lurking and, if you're uncomfortable, go back inside the store and ask for someone to accompany you to your vehicle. Be sure to lock the doors as soon as you enter your vehicle. Carry pepper spray or a loud whistle. At home, keep the doors and windows locked at night and when no one is at home. Use outside lighting to keep your entryways lit up at night so an intruder will feel exposed and don't have high bushes near windows.
Thank you spalladino!! I worry about her, probably unecessarily, as she has always been on her own. She is tough though. She is also my baby sister, even at 24, you know? Thank you for your advice!!
That's pretty scary! I hope she and her family are okay and didn't lose anything too important or expensive. Being robbed is such an awful feeling, and it's really hard to feel safe afterwards. Does she have a burglar alarm? If she doesn't, she should get one. If she can't afford a regular one, they have some inexpensive kits that are basically door and window alarms, so that a really loud alarm goes off when they're breached. It doesn't call the police or anything really exciting, but it's better than nothing and the noise is usually enough to scare people off. She should also look into putting motion sensored floodlights or just floodlights up around her house. The motion sensored ones are like $10 at WalMart and are pretty easy to install. Light is another deterrent. I hope she doesn't have any more experiences like this again. Once is more than enough!