Spending the night in unfamiliar territories!

@SomeCowgirl (32270)
My fiance and I recently spent the night with his mother and two dogs at a house that my mother in law was house sitting. It was late at night and we were leaving from the relay for life. The place we were staying at was in another county, so my fiance's mom wanted us to go with her. (I suppose I should say mother in law). We slept downstairs wherein his mom slept upstairs. It was a very nice place, a nice sized t.v., bathroom, bedroom, den, and a bar. The lighting was perfect for movies! My fiance and I could not sleep though and waited until morning when it was light out, and even then could not sleep. So my question is, Have you ever had trouble sleeping in unfamiliar territory? If so, did you ever fall asleep? Did you keep the light on in the room? My fiance and I did keep the light on until daylight so that we would not get frightened with all new sounds and things. Also, in the morning when I awoke to get some drink, I found one of the dogs downstairs with the door to outside open, I went outside but did not see anyone. When I went upstairs, my mother in law told me that it was probably that she had forgotten to shut it completely and the dog got in. I appreciate all serious responses to my discussion! Have a wonderfully lovely day.
@hellcowboy (7383)
Yeah my mom asked us to go back with her after the Relay For Life, because it is a unfamillar neighborhood to her,and she did not want to go in there alone after dark, it was a very nice place with all the comforts of home,and we had a Playstation 2 and my brother let us borrow two games,even though we never got to try them because we were trying the games that were there,I know we had a lot of trouble sleeping,so we waited until daybreak before we went to sleep,even though we only slept a couple hours,and one of the reasons I could not sleep was because the pillow was too fluffy for me,and the only other place that I can think of that I ever had trouble sleeping at a new place was the first time I spent the night at Rickey's and even though his dad did not care what we did,as long as we did not keep him awake,it took me a while to go to sleep,but after a couple times,I got to where I felt at home at Rickey's.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I am the type of person who will feel safe if I am near someone I trust, even if it is at a different place, however, at the same time it depends on where this place is and how close I am to the people I trust. I know I was close to you, but the fact that it was different and I Was not familiar with the sounds made it where I could not go to sleep. I think that that is a big part of why I did not go to sleep, and possibly partially why you did not either. I suppose it also depends on how tired I am. Like when I worked very long hours, I would be very tired and thus sleep wherever we went even if that meant being rude. I love you with all of my heart and soul!
I can understand that you feel safe when you are around people you trust and I am glad that you feel safe when you are around me,and I can understand that the new and strange sounds made it hard to sleep,and I think in a small degree it made me not able to sleep either,and yeah I know when you worked long hours at the hotel when we first started dating you fell asleep easily no matter where we were,but I do not blame you because I know it was bad at the hotels,and I am glad that you no longer work there,I love you with all my heart and soul,have a great day,good luck in your life,and Happy Posting.
@sudalunts (5526)
I do not sleep well at home, so whenever I sleep in unfamiliar places I do not have a good night's sleep. When I stay at a hotel I usually bring my own linen. Having my own linen makes me feel more comfortable when I am in an unfamiliar bed. Believe it or not the one place that I can really sleep mostly through the night is when I go camping. I do not know whether it is the air or what, but I get the best sleep while camping. I stayed with my cousin one week end he gave me his bed, I kept the light on all night and couldn't wait for morning to come. Unlight your fiance, my husband can sleep anywhere, just give a bed or a couch and he is out like a light.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
When we first got in bed, I snuggled to him real close. We just can't sleep out of our own bed (My fiance and I went on a vacation and ended up coming home 12 hours after we got there, luckily we only had an hours drive). I know how it is to sleep in nature, it's so soothing and serene. We live in the country, so I know that if I wanted to I could just sleep outside and be so comfortable. We had the light on almost all night last night, and we only turned it off because day had broken! I appreciate your response to me! Have a wonderful day!
i never sleep well away from home. i've slept in motel rooms and other people's homes. they were all good places to sleep except when i had to sleep on the couch at one home. but when we would travel and be home the same day, that was the best. i sleep best in my own bed.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I am glad you sleep better on your own bed, and I think everyone will agree that they do as well. I don't care where I sleep but if I don't sleep near people I know and trust it's difficult. Ofcourse I trust my mother in law and fiance, but I was still bit a frightened as was he. I appreciate your response to me, I hope you have a great day!
@reckon21 (3487)
I sleep in my best friends house for the first time. Their house is nice but when the time come for sleeping I couldn't sleep. Maybe because i missed my bed.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
You may have, that or it was somewhere different. I appreciate your response to me, Have a wonderfully lovely day.