My monitor keeps going black

@dragon54u (31615)
When I turn it off, then back on, it usually rights itself but sometimes goes black again, it's doing it now! It flickers a bit beforehand. What could be wrong?! Help!
I have an old monitor that has been flickering. I'm not sure what's wrong with mine either. It has stopped for the time being because I put some tennis balls under the front edge to stablize it.
@dragon54u (31615)
Neilchua, and slyvixen, thanks! I'll try tapping it next time it does that and see if maybe it's a connection problem. Although I checked the connections and tightened all the stuff in my computer box, it's possible. Anything to avoid buying a new one!!
That's helpful information, thanks. I'll probably end up getting a nice new monitor. I've had this one for a long time. I can't remember when I got it. It's probably been a good eight years.
@nupats (3564)
My guess is that the port on where your monitor connects is loose and/or faulty. If any component connections are loose this causes the boot process to fail or take too long. Any other problems? I don't know that the system power supply would have anything to do with this or not...I don't think it would....i would see preliminary and then call a technician for help...good luck!!
@dragon54u (31615)
Thank you! I thought maybe I'd get some compressed air or my hand vac and get some of the dust out. My ex took the cover to the computer itself accidentally and I never bothered to get it back so it's pretty dusty!
You're probably going to get a lot of responses that say that your monitor is going bad. Well, it probably is. That's one of the first signs of a failing monitor. If it's old, I would definitely replace it. You can probably find a good used one at a Salvation Army or Goodwill store. Everything they sell now in the computer stores is flat screen. If it's not old, then I would check your warranty.
@dragon54u (31615)
It's at least 6 years old! I really like it, big screen and nice resolution. But I've been hit with a chimney repair that leaks into the attic and helping my son buy a car (complicated story but he needs one and his dad and I are splitting the cost). When it rains, it pours! I have to have a monitor since I make a couple hundred a month online. Oh well, it's only money. I have my health and my family and it'll only be a couple months' worth of scrimping! I've been spoiled, time to tighten the belt!
@neilchua (888)
usually monitor will turn black if it does not sense that it is actually recieving any signal from your video card. here are some possible solution. try checking if the monitor cable is properly plugged to your video card. if it is, you will need to open your cpu and try to push the video card on its slot. if this does not resolve your problem, bad news. it's either you have a near dying monitor or video card. the best way to know if it's a monitor or video card problem is for you to connect the monitor to a different computer if available. if it does not turn black anymore, you do have a defective video card. if it does turn black on a different computer, you do have a bad monitor. hope i was able to help you. have a good day.:) -NEILâ„¢
@dragon54u (31615)
Thank you, that was helpful. I checked my video card connections, they're tight. I'm afraid I'll have to buy a new monitor soon. Darn, things always gang up on you! I just signed a contract to have my chimney repaired, that's the price of at least 4-6 monitors!!
@neilchua (888)
well sorry to hear that. one good thing though is that monitors are quite cheap compared to that 5 years ago. you can purchase an lCD monitor at a price comparable to that of a crt monitor before.
@neilchua (888)
Thanks for the best response.:) have a good day:)