Commmunication with friends and family

@mayka123 (11068)
In the beginning it was letters and meetings - the only way we would communicate with family and friends. Then there were telegrams for birthdays withes and sometimes to convey the sad news of someones death. After that there were telephones. But that was not available everywhere and was not too cheap either. The conversations would be limited to about three minutes. After that came the computer age and emails followed by mobile and SMSes. How do you now communicte with your friends and family who live far away from you. Do you still write letters to them? Or is it email and mobile for you? And how often do you contact your loved ones who are far away from you. I have now written a letter for over 15 years and have forgotton how to start one. I try so send an email or sometimes an SMS to the people whom I am close to everyday. Sometimes it may be just a one line email saying hello or forwarding a joke. Or an SMS saying Gud Morning or Gud Nite. It is my way of telling my friends and family that I am thinking of them and missing them.
@ruby222 (4848)
That is so true!when our children were born we had telegrams from family to wish us all well,and at that time one of the only ways to communicate was to write a letter,there were those who were thsat little better off who had the telephone installed,but lol for me it was a case of using the public telephone,and then eventully it became the norm to have a phone in your home.Then the tremendous invention of the mobile/cell phone,and the first ones that were huge!!and lol now they are very tiny and slimline,and can doo allsorts!!there are camera phones,and the Apple phones,the Blackberry phones,my son has a blackberry,its a Blackberry curve...I would nt have a clue what to do with one!!..but all in all nowadays things are so very different we can keep in touch anytime,via SMS or mobile calling.
@mayka123 (11068)
Yes nowadays all depend on SMS or mobile for communication. And a lot depend on emails. Dont know what new inventions will come up next. Thanks for your response and happy posting.
@riyasam (16574)
yea,mobile is a good invention.
@hellcowboy (7383)
It has been a long time since I wrote a letter because they are outdated since it takes a while sometimes to get where they are going,the only way me and my fiance communicate with out family and friends is either by telephone or email or even by sending messages on myspace,because all three are efficient ways of communication and it does not take long to hear back from the person.
@mayka123 (11068)
I too communicate through either telephone email but still feel that hand written letters give a more personal touch. Thanks for your response and happy posting.
I agree hand written letters do give a more personal touch but since most people have very busy lives,they do not have time to write touching letters,and you are more than welcome for the response my friend,I was happy to respond to you,and I hope if I respond to peoples discussions they will respond to mine,have a great day,good luck in your life,and Happy posting.
@mialei23 (2386)
Hi mayka123, before I used to write letters and even telegrams to communicate with my family and relatives. Before letters is very in demand, you can send it to post office and they can received it a minimum of 1-2 weeks and If it's out of the country probably 3 weeks to 1 month, imagine that! And mobile phones are not invented before I think that was year 80's and 90's, I think cell phones are invented in 90's but few and expensive only those rich man can purchase it.And since computers are now upgraded and internet arises, were now using email and messenger to communicate with them from time to time.It's more cheaper and fast!Thanks for the interesting post my friend.
@mayka123 (11068)
Good to know you have enjoyed my post. And I have enjoyed reading everyones responses. I think all agree that emails are now a faster means of communication. But I still dont feel that emails have the personal touch that a hand written letter could have. Thanks for your response and happy posting.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hi dear well i was really bad in writting letter to friends and relatives, maximum i would send then Eid Cards once a week, and was communicating them over phone though not regular And nowadays, its always email, SMS, phone call, mobiles. and frequency depend on mood, urgency or communiocation. relatives with in country i call them or SMS them, and out of country, its either email. SMS or phone call Take care
@mayka123 (11068)
From the replies to all my discussions I dont think you would be bad at communicating with letters. It must be that you are just too lazy to write them. And yes now email and SMS is the best way to communicate.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hmmm u r right i was BAD at Writting i dont wanted to write letters But now its, just sit on seat and do type on computer or Mobile and send it, no hassle of posting Take care
@mayka123 (11068)
Yes you are lazy in writing letters but I think sometimes you are lazy to send messages on the computer too because sometimes your replies do not come on time.
@dpk262006 (56599)
You are right 'writing' letters is a thing of the past. Our kids do not know how to write an informal letters to a relative. Becasue they have born in the age of mobiles and internet. Letter writing was such a touching affairs in the past that the handwriting of the sender would tell you about his mood and state of affairs, when he/she penned the letter. It was an awesome feeling to wait for the postman and to ask to him about the letters. Now writing letters has gone into oblivion. I still have few letters with me, which were written to me by my dear friends, when I was in School. No doubt, sending e-mails and SMSs are faster modes of communication, but I find an e-mail cannot be equated with a hand-written letter. There is no personal touch in an e-mail. Sending SMS is good option for keeping in touch with dear and near ones and I use the facility extensively on their birthdays and anniversaries etc. Telepone (be it land line or mobile) has made our life easier, you can get in touch with anyone even at odd hours through your mobile phone. We have to adopt ourselves with the ever changing technology. Good post!
@mayka123 (11068)
Yes I do remember the time when I would wait for the postman to see if I had any letters from my pen friends. I had about 20 pen friends when I was in school. Now I have a few email friends who do not live in India whom I keep sending emails to regularly but have not met them. And I sometimes send them an SMS too. Though emails do not give that personal touch but still that is the only option we follow now.
@dpk262006 (56599)
I agree with you that the charm of receiving and sending letters is lost for ever and we do not have any option, but to rely on e-mails and SMSs. We have to make do with it.
@mayka123 (11068)
Yes but from this discussions I have seen that quite a few people are still fond of writing letters. Good that tradition has not altogether disappeared.
@reckon21 (3487)
I still sent letters in the post office for my sister who is working in Singapore. Letter is still the best. There's something about the letter that is special and valuable.
@mayka123 (11068)
Letter writing adds a personal touch to the message that an email or an sms cannot.
@riyasam (16574)
i have still the letters written to me by friends of long ago.they really are of sentimental value.
@mayka123 (11068)
Hi riyasam, Make sure you treasure those letters.
@riyasam (16574)
most of the friends are in orkut-a social forum,i keep in constant touch with them and rest i keep in touch with mobile.
@mayka123 (11068)
I too keep in touch with friends on orkut and facebook. Thanks a lot for your response and happy posting.
@riyasam (16574)
you are also in orkut.i would like to add you.
@mayka123 (11068)
Have sent you a pm but not got your reply.
At the moment my family lives in the U.S.A and I live in australia. So lots of emails are passed back and forth and a few phone calls. We used to have weekly dinner to meet and talk about life. I now meet weekly with my new family here that I married into.
@mayka123 (11068)
I think the internet is the best thing that has happened to us. My cousins too are in Canada and I am now able to exchange emails with them every day. Before I had to wait for weeks for a letter from them.
@metschica25 (5407)
My family I use all forms of communication . We all live close so it easy to get together . I have many friends who live far away and out of the country , so the computer is the best way to talk and when i have the extra money phone calls . sometimes i am a little shy for the phone tho !
@mayka123 (11068)
Why should you be shy to talk to family and friends. Ofcourse unknown friends or those whom you have never met but just known online or through phone is a bit difficult to talk to. I too have the same problem.
@jinxky (2251)
i don't write letters now, or send them thru snail mail.. nah.. i just open my ym then i will talk to them & get there answer right away. that's the technology now, even we're apart & even you live to the deepest part of the world, we can still communicate & get the answer right away or i will send them text messages if i want to greet them on special occasions like birthday, christmas, new year etc..
@mayka123 (11068)
Thanks a lot for your response. I dont think any of us use the snail mail any more though I feel it has a more personal touch than the emails. Of course phone calls are different where you can speak your thoughts out directly to the person.
@riyasam (16574)
if possible i voice chat with my family and friends who stay far away.with whom it is not possible,i keep contact through mobile phone and lastly i use email.
@mayka123 (11068)
Thanks a lot for your response and happy posting.
@subha12 (18453)
we generally communicate through phone these days. it is what we are doing for last few years. if possible we also visit some relatives to know how they are now.i must say we no longer write letters to the relatives anymore.
@mayka123 (11068)
Hi subha, I agree that most of us do not write letters anymore. It may just be occasional festival greetings that we may send to one another.
@balasri (26553)
Well I always like to talk to them.I always use my phone to talk instead of sending SMS and Email.I like to be physical in one way or other since I too have stopped writing long tie back.I think that I can use my voice at least.
@mayka123 (11068)
I prefer phone calls to emails. It gives it a more personal touch.
Same like you. I think i never post an inland letter. But i am used to send christmas and New year cards by post. I think it is the best way to convey our regards. Everyone can send e-cards without spending one single penny. Keep in touch. Thank you......
@mayka123 (11068)
Yes sending new year and christmas cards by post gives the message a more personal touch. Thanks for your response and happy posting.